1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Hamp

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vandee

Senior Airman
Aug 21, 2019
Yes another Zero. This one a clipped wing A6M3 model 32 from the 2nd Fighter Group at Buna airfield in New Guinea 1942.
I was going to do tail number V-190 but have the correct decals for Q-102, both were ameiro color before the orders came
top paint the top sides of all aircraft green and add the yellow identification marking on the wings leading edge. So far I have
the cockpit painted and installed in the fuselage. This should be an easy build as I don't need the antenna mast or loop antenna
as the radios were removed due to poor quality equipment. That saves me on rigging also, isn't any. John
Hamp 1.JPG

Hamp 3.JPG

Hamp 7.JPG

Hamp 9.JPG

I did this subject many years ago in Tamiya's gray green and have since found out it was a more brownish
"ameiro" color. I am a bit perplexed as this kit has no red wing walk warning decals, it is the same kit and
same markings I used years ago. Looks like I hunt up some wing walk decals. Here is the old one I did years
ago. John
Hamp 5.JPG

Nice looking innards. When I did mine lo so many years ago, I painted the exterior with Polly Scale Old Concrete. Can't easily get it in Canada any more. To me, Poly Scale was the premier paint.

1568343298622.png

Actually that gray isn't a bad idea. They faded fast in the hot tropical sun to a
faded gray color. I've seen lots of pictures of them rotting on beaches and old
fields. Ever rummage through a junk yard? John

Thinking of using the kit decals for tail number 182, the green over gray scheme from Taiwan 1944. The very
first Zero model I did was the old Revell A6M5 in this scheme with the yellow leading edge wing stripes. I
need the practice as I am going to do a 1/48 A6M5c soon. John
Hamp 10.JPG

Here is some more work. I have the cockpit in the fuselage and the loop antenna and mast antenna holes puttied.
I am not using either. I also have the wings assembled and the bump added to the bottom for the increased ammo
capacity. John
Hamp 11.JPG

I also dug out these 1/48 Tamiya decals for Sakai's white V-103. I have 2 sets but this set is complete
for V-103. I am looking at purchasing a Hasegawa to use them on. I have the 1/32 21st Century A6M2
and am looking for decals, black V-103 for that one. Not to mention I ordered a Tamiya A6M5c to do
as Sakai's plane for "homeland defense". Just can't have too many Zeros. John
1-48 Tamiya Sakai decals.JPG

Thanks. I have the wings on. I had a lot of trouble, had to put a spreader to get the right wing
to the proper height to match the fuselage. It was about 1 1/2 mm low. I think the molds are
showing their age. Tamiya has done a new mold A6M3 type 22 and a new mold A6M5 in 1/48
but they definitely need a new 1/48 A6M3 type 32 and 1/48 A6M2 type 21. The next model 21
do will be Hasegawa's until Tamiya does a new mold. I can't see putting this much work into a
company that is known for their exacting fit. Rant off, here it is puttied again for more sanding. John
Hamp 12.JPG

Hamp 13.JPG

Hamp14.JPG

Thanks, it's starting to shape up. I puttied more seams near the leading edge and cowling area. Then I
added the horizontal stabilizers. It is starting to look like a Zero now. John
Hamp 15.JPG

Thanks, the engine is built and painted. John
Hamp 16.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back