1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Hamp

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vandee

Senior Airman
Aug 21, 2019
Yes another Zero. This one a clipped wing A6M3 model 32 from the 2nd Fighter Group at Buna airfield in New Guinea 1942.
I was going to do tail number V-190 but have the correct decals for Q-102, both were ameiro color before the orders came
top paint the top sides of all aircraft green and add the yellow identification marking on the wings leading edge. So far I have
the cockpit painted and installed in the fuselage. This should be an easy build as I don't need the antenna mast or loop antenna
as the radios were removed due to poor quality equipment. That saves me on rigging also, isn't any. John

I did this subject many years ago in Tamiya's gray green and have since found out it was a more brownish
"ameiro" color. I am a bit perplexed as this kit has no red wing walk warning decals, it is the same kit and
same markings I used years ago. Looks like I hunt up some wing walk decals. Here is the old one I did years
ago. John

Nice looking innards. When I did mine lo so many years ago, I painted the exterior with Polly Scale Old Concrete. Can't easily get it in Canada any more. To me, Poly Scale was the premier paint.

Actually that gray isn't a bad idea. They faded fast in the hot tropical sun to a
faded gray color. I've seen lots of pictures of them rotting on beaches and old
fields. Ever rummage through a junk yard? John

Thinking of using the kit decals for tail number 182, the green over gray scheme from Taiwan 1944. The very
first Zero model I did was the old Revell A6M5 in this scheme with the yellow leading edge wing stripes. I
need the practice as I am going to do a 1/48 A6M5c soon. John

Here is some more work. I have the cockpit in the fuselage and the loop antenna and mast antenna holes puttied.
I am not using either. I also have the wings assembled and the bump added to the bottom for the increased ammo
capacity. John

I also dug out these 1/48 Tamiya decals for Sakai's white V-103. I have 2 sets but this set is complete
for V-103. I am looking at purchasing a Hasegawa to use them on. I have the 1/32 21st Century A6M2
and am looking for decals, black V-103 for that one. Not to mention I ordered a Tamiya A6M5c to do
as Sakai's plane for "homeland defense". Just can't have too many Zeros. John

Thanks. I have the wings on. I had a lot of trouble, had to put a spreader to get the right wing
to the proper height to match the fuselage. It was about 1 1/2 mm low. I think the molds are
showing their age. Tamiya has done a new mold A6M3 type 22 and a new mold A6M5 in 1/48
but they definitely need a new 1/48 A6M3 type 32 and 1/48 A6M2 type 21. The next model 21
do will be Hasegawa's until Tamiya does a new mold. I can't see putting this much work into a
company that is known for their exacting fit. Rant off, here it is puttied again for more sanding. John

Thanks, it's starting to shape up. I puttied more seams near the leading edge and cowling area. Then I
added the horizontal stabilizers. It is starting to look like a Zero now. John

Users who are viewing this thread