1/48 Tamiya FW190D-9 White 11 of IV/JG51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really don't like those Eduard wing walk lines....look way too big to me, but that's not your fault Andy.

With regards the lower cowl, i think this is just an illusion, again refer to JaPo pages 100 and 101 to see what i mean...the gear covers could have a light overspray, possibly dirty too...

Thanks guys.

Wayne, the walk lines are Tamiya's decals. I only used the white 11 and Gruppe wave from the Eduard sheet. I agree with you though and I would have used different ones if I had them but I want to save the ones on the Eduard sheet (which are a bit more subdued) for when I build my wide tail Dora Black 6. I should have maybe sliced a bit of the width away when I trimmed the film but oh well!

Regarding the nose, yes I think I'll leave it 76. I have already done what you said for the gear covers - 76 with a light patchwork of 75 - but just have not posted pics yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Aw, cr@p, sorry Andy, I was looking at the eduard instruction sheet when I posted about the walk lines..thinking one thing typing another...
Although I think both are not quite right...

No problem mate. At least the Eduard ones I have are gray so they don't stand out so much. I did, however, go over the decals with a lead pencil to tone them down before applying a flat coat. Update pics later today.

Well, have a look....

Here are pics with the flat coat applied. Before I flat coated, I coloured over the each of the white dashes of the walk lines with a flattened 0.5mm lead pencil. You'll see this better in some of the close-ups below. I admit it stiull doesn't look perfect but I actually like it better than the bright white lines.

Next, I started to mask the areas for the bare aluminum gun cowls which are the unique feature of this particular aircraft and which drew me to this scheme.

Then, after testing whether Alclad reacts with Tamiya acrylics (it doesn't), I painted the gun cowls black to give an even surface and to hopefully create different shadows of aluminum.

Then the Alclad was applied and the masks removed.

Here is the start of some weathering. With a wash of artist oils, I applied these into the panel lines near the engine and in the cowl fasteners. The further away from the engine, the less panel enhancement I do. As this 190 was built very late in the war, I will do minimal wear and tear.

There will be more weathering to come, with a few paint chips, rubbed traffic areas and then the very apparent exhaust staining. Thanks again for your interest.

I've seen colour pics, although of FW190As, where the wing-walk lines have been shown in red, black and a mid grey colour. Also seen Bf109s with light blue, red and black on the 'E', and red, black or mid grey on later versions. I think the white, toned down, is probably acceptable, as the only other way would be to mask and paint them - a long and tedious task.

I appreciate your comments gentlemen. Here is a progression of shots taken over the last several days showing the main gear work which was done as fill-in work between bouts of painting. Sink holes were puttied, brake lines were added with two sizes of wire, then everything was painted and given a wash of oils on the inside. The shiny oleos are made of aluminum foil tape which is wonderful stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread