1/48 Tamiya FW190D-9 White 11 of IV/JG51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Well, we're almost done with a few more fiddley bits added:

Pitot tube made of brass tube and copper wire:

13010601.jpg

D/F Loop and FuG 25 IFF antenna. The D/F loop is a wine bottle foil slice glued to the kit tear drop and the antenna is stretched sprue.

13010604.jpg

For the radio antenna, I used invisible nylon mending thread that I wanted to drape realistically by ensuring that the I glued the ends taking into account the natural bend of the thread. Even so, it stuck out sideways a bit so I attached it to the side of the canopy with a tiny dab of CA glue. There was no way to bend the nylon thread to the shape I wanted for the lead wire so this piece was made of very thin stretched sprue. This material can be curved to any shape you want by running it past your finger nail and this resulted in a realistic looking drape. The insulators are dabs of CA painted silver.

13010602.jpg

13010603.jpg

I just need to put the entry step on and do a few touches of gun smoke and this one will be done. I may make a display base for this one as well but I'll post some finished shots this week.

Thanks again for your interest and compliments.

Last edited:
Hey, Andy,
That is one fine looking build and finish. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I do have one question...... for a 1/48 Long Nose Dora, Tamiya or the Eudard kit? I do not have one in the stack of TBB (to be builts). The Dora is one of my very favorite Luftwaffe planes and I need to round one up in the next couple of months.
I will be pinging you on the finish of an Me-109-E4 in BoB. I am digging in now for the research. I need to thumb back through my Most Dangerous Enemy and zero in on a Staffel.
Dale

Hey thanks guys. Been off the board a bit so have not seen the latest round of kudos.

Dale, the Tamiya kit goes together really nice but there are inaccuracies. Wheels and spinner are undersized and the wheel well does not reflect reality (they used the 190 A wing with the well covers that prevent viewing up into the engine compartment). Eduard have done a much better job replicating a true Dora but I've not built mine yet so can't say how well it goes together. However, the surface detail and open panel options are superior on the Eduard kit, as are the decals.

Evan and I are talking about an unofficial Dora build in which he'd finish his brown 4 and I'd do my wide tailed Black 6. Sounds like there may be enough interest we can get 3 or 4 of us together to start a mini GB. Let me know if you're interested.

Also happy to help with any questions on my BoB 109. Just gave some of my extra decals to Terry but I have others of you need any.

Hey, Andy,
You know, I think I like the idea of a mini GB. Any idea as to a time frame and a duration? If that fits into my schedule, I will sign up! I am gonna grab the Eudard kit this weekend. I'll let you know what I think (like I am an expert).
And, thank you for the wonderfully kind offer regarding the Emil build. I just may start a PM thread with you concerning the research. Oh, the 210 gruppe book came in today. I thumbed through it and was impressed. However, I just started the FINAL DAMNED book (Book 14) in the Wheel of Time series. Been reading that series for 14 years and the last book was released Tuesday. And, yes, I am nose down in it.
Later,
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back