1/48 Wellington Mk. III of 425 Squadron - "Starting to Finish"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But i does look incredible

Here's a bit more on the fiddley PE process for these trusses.

Here's one of the open bays awaiting the insertion of the various bits that make up the internal structure. Note all of the haphazard tiny "teeth" along the top edge which are barely being held in place by a filament of metal.

These teeth are supposed to remain in place until all of the internal bits are glued in and then they are bent over and glued in place. You can see some of them circled in the below pic from a previously completed bay. Alignment is pretty hard and so they are not always straight.

Great in theory but, in reality, most of these things are prone to breaking off during handling and so I've tried to collect as many as I could find and stick them onto a piece of tape to prevent them from escaping. The tape can be seen in the above pic in the background at top right. Here's the tape removed to give you an appreciation for how small these things are:

Many of the members to be inserted in the structure consist of multiple joined parts that need to be folded into N-shapes. Below is one that comprises three struts, one of which has had the flanges folded over to make the channel shape. For this I use flat pliers which luckily is the perfect size and thickness for the job.

Once folded, the part looks like this:

And now comes the really fun part - jimmying the delicate piece into the truss. In the center is the piece seen above, partly on its way in. The ends need to be lifted over the flanges of the bottom stringer and then maneuvered into position and this takes several tries. To the right of this piece is one already installed and awaiting glue.

There are many more parts to be fit into this truss and then I'll be rewarding with having to make the second one. I might try a different approach than what the instructions say for that one to make fitting easier and to minimize all those small bits flying off.

See you later.

Oh my, your frightening me Andy. I'm currently trolling my way through both of your threads related to this build with a mind to build my own Mk 1C Wimpy in the next GB. What I've read and seen and what your doing...................well, its just amazing, mind blowing, awesome and SCARY.

Users who are viewing this thread