1/48 XP 47 H

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
I build this conversion a long time ago. It was based on an old german made conversion set to be used with the acient Hawk P-47.
I used the monogram P-47 D as a donor and worked the crude vacu conversion kit arround it.
But as far as I know, there is no full kit of the P-47 H that I know of.

The XP-47 H was a test bed for the giant Chrysler V-12 inline engine. 2 prototypes were build. This model represents one of them.
Decals came from an old superscale decal sheet (stencil data and national insignia) tail no came from a generic numbers sheet.
A lot of detail was scratch build and a Falcon canopy was used as well. The XP 47 H carried no guns, so guns and gun sight were deleted.

Tests with the Chrysler V12 were unsetisfaction, so the XP 47 H never reached production.

DSCF3012.JPG

DSCF3013.JPG

DSCF3014.JPG

DSCF3015.JPG

DSCF3016.JPG

Thanks for the very nice comments!!! :)
It as a lot of fun building it. I got this old "Air-Model"? conversion set from a friend. Apperently this set is quiet rare, but also quiet crude and lacking a lot of detail. I engraved all pannel lines on the Monogram kit to match the Air Model fuselage. Even though the convarsion was a complete fuselage, I only kept the nose and belly and used the Monogram fuselage as the detail was far better.
I had to rebuild the intercooler doors, as the ones on the XP-47H were quiet different. The huge airscoop was made from miliput sanded to shape. Using the crude part of the conversion set as a guide. The prop came from a newer Revell P47 from which I removed the cuff's.

I think you are right about the chrysler engine being a V 16 (a double V-8 )
Next to a normal Jug, the XP 47 H is huge. The nose is twice a long. And the uncuffed prop blades make it all look more gigantic imho.

I hadn't realized the fuselage decal cracked over time. I guess I have to repaer it.
Not a biggie a think.

Last edited:
Love it . This is the best right side I could find Jim. I look some more to see if I can find one from the right rear.

xp-47h.JPG

Geo

EDIT: found an in flight photo in "P-47 Thunder - From Seversky to Victory" showing an air scoop on the right side in the same location as the one on the left.

Last edited:
Nice Pic of *****97, I've never seen that side vieuw before.
At the time I build this model, there was very little info or pics availble. (I think it was around 2004)
I found a few pics of both *****97 and *****98 and I simply chose the latter to model because I found better pics of it.
I wasn't even aware there were scoops at both sides of the XP-47 H. I didn't even know there were differences between the two XP-47 H prototypes.
All I know is they tried a few different prop blades and the choose the uncuffed type because it preformed better at the time.

I honnestly forgot about the XP 47 H, until I opened up the model cabinet to take another model out, that I noticed the XP 47 H sitting on the shelf next to it....Hence the reason I posted it here ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back