1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster Dam Buster old tool---shelf of doom

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's extremely likely that the 'Upkeep' mines were just in red oxide primer.
Although I've seen representations in the 'standard' dark green, mainly in artwork, and have seen three surviving casings, each a different colour (green, black and light blue-grey !) it should be remembered that the weapons were finished at 'the last minute', and delivered just in time for loading for the operation. More than one account from ground and aircrew of 617 Sqn describes how the casing still felt warm to the touch, having so recently been filled with the explosive.
In a documentary I saw not that long ago (can't remember the title, as I watched three different documentaries on the operation), there was a brief clip, in B&W, showing an 'Upkeep' being looked at by RAF personnel, which was still in it's large transit case. Now, having been prompted by the reference to the red oxide finish, and, I must stress, from memory of this film clip, the tonal appearance did look different to what one would expect to see (in B&W) if it was finished in dark green.
As the dark green colour used on RAF bombs at this period was really intended to aid concealment in bomb dumps on the ground, replacing the original yellow finish (pointless painting a bomb for camouflage for the sky !!), it's entirely logical, in this instance, to dispense with the finish colour coat, and of course the time involved to apply it and let it dry, as the weapons would not be in storage, being delivered straight from the Ordnance factory for immediate use.
So on reflection, my comment earlier referring to the colour as dark green should be disregarded - if I were to build a model of a 'Dam Buster' Lanc, I would opt for the red oxide shade for the 'Upkeep' mine.

Yes, I was originally going to go with red oxide. I thought I read some where that Gibson's crew painted his
black. Also I heard some crew members saying they looked like olive barrels? An olive green color? Red oxide
next time for me.- John

Red Oxide it is. I was never pleased with that green. Tamiy spray TS-33 dull red.- John
dambuster 59.JPG

Good stuff.
The reference to "olive barrels" possibly meant they looked like barrels olives are stored in ?
Although it's possible that Gibson's mine was painted black, why bother, and would there be time ?

Decals arrived today. I will probably gloss cote Wednesday then decal this coming weekend.- John
dambuster 60.JPG

:thumbright: I really should get back to mine. I stalled out staring at all those tiny, tiny clear frames
Look at it this way, all you have to do is put little square pieces of tape in between those tiny clear frames!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back