1/72 Hasegawa, Kawanishi N1K1, 1st Prototype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Andy, I think I understood, do you mean the "Y" central strap at the shoulders of the pilot?
I found several images that indicate this in the first versions. These are two in color.

The IP is a decal, what I did was to put dark green on the ends, some buttons and the glass of the dials with future drops.

The gunsight on his branch ...
(with fine sandpapers I thinned the thickness of the glass, taking care not to break it)

... and then painted it (I used 5 colors in total) and a 10/0 brush

... and so it looks mounted in its place ...

Saludos y buena semana para todos !!

A couple more photos of how the cockpit looks ...

... mounted on the left side of the fuselage and how the levers on the side look ...

And now, obeying my interest in making the "first prototype", the kit does not offer that option as regards the two anti-rotating 2-blade propellers. Fortunately the kit has 4 blades; but, I must work on adapting the propellers, to comply with my caprice ... !!

What I have to do:
A) Fill those two holes.
B) Make a new hole.
C) Make a new slot and support in front of one of the existing ones (the other two will be ignored)
In this way the tip will have only two blades and not the original 3 of the kit.
D) Make two new holes in the "inverse-rotor" for the other pair of blades.

By doing a dry fit, I can see slightly shorter the section of the tip that comes out of the cowling, with respect to reference images. What also limits the space for the two blades of the inverse-rotor ...

With three small pieces of a card, I began to make that increase, to divide from there, regulate the appropriate size and fulfill what I intend to do ...

This is all for the moment, I will start working on this, glue the fuselage and think about the possibility of making the rivet lines in the whole structure of the seaplane.

Hasta pronto compadres!

Gracias chicos!

Ready to work on this new two anti-rotating 2-blade propellers.

With the Dremel I give the cylindrical shape to the "increase" I made with styrene cards.

Then a sanding to match the joint of both pieces, and I make the hole where the piece that joins the engine will fit.

With a branch of the same kit, adapt the small pieces that I will use to cover the holes of the blades that I will not use ...

... return with more ...

... now, the piece that will hold only two of the three blades ...

(There's not much to explain...)

... and so on, the two new holes that will hold the other two blades of the reverse rotor ...

The pieces ready. Only a little bit of putty is needed, perfectly sand each piece and ready to be painted.

I could not resist doing a dry fit, to check the results ...

It is important to consider that "the face" of the behind blades, are "opposed" with respect to "the face" of the two blades in front.

Well, I can continue after solving the way to create this piece novelty.

I appreciate your visits and comments.

BTW, thank you Andy for the images of the seats, sure they will be of other versions. They are very good reference for future projects.

Saludos colegas

Looking good. This time next year you will be building an entire aircraft from scratch, no kit needed!
Hahaha, I think it will be enough "improvise" to solve modifications, errors and my occurrences.
I thank you for complimenting me, Chad.

Saludos amigo

Hello again.
The wings, the fuselage and the cowling were already in one piece

As I already mentioned, the space will be very small to be able to observe the interior of the cockpit ...

The canopy does not even measure 2.5 cms. and it comes in one piece. So I'm thinking of making the necessary cuts so that the central part can be placed moving backwards and the interior can be shown. But that will come later.

In the first photograph of my post # 21, I can see that "the headboard" (the upper part that stands out), you can see that it is made of wood; Has anyone of you any knowledge of what colors it goes ?, Is wood allowed to shine ?, or is it painted the color of the interior?, It will be correct to put a small pillow, round or square?
Well those are some questions.

In a moment I add more photos of what has been done so far.
Best regards

From what I have seen of both the N1K1 and N1K2, the head rests were left in natural wood, no padding. Four mounting bolts are present at the base of the head rest as well.

Chad

Thanks Chad for the tip, I will be pending another comment or images. I would like to leave it in wood and know if it has that pillow to protect the head.
Muchas gracias por tu pronta respuesta amigo

I stop a bit in sharing the photos of ... some small (but notorious) details, in the joints of the cowling to the fuselage and the wings. They should have been minimized with fine files, sanding and a bit of putty ...

It makes me laugh, but also taste, that, even being a small scale, it takes me the need to make a greater effort to try to make this "little fly" look more like a replica in miniature than a toy airplane.
For the same reason, I try to do a good job that also dignifies the 1/72 scale. I have seen really impressive works here in the forum and in videos on the web in this scale.

There is an air intake, which comes "open" at the exit in the back ...

... but not the front ... so I "opened" the entrance to that front part ...

A fingerprint with cement will always be a reason to continue practicing solving small accidents ... !!

I must make the observation that in much of the time spent on handling the plane for these processes of filing, sanding, putty, etc. I do not worry about protecting the small glass of the gunsight that sticks out. I had being aware of taking the plane with my hands and with care. I was about to break it on two occasions.
It was then when I decided to put the canopy and fix it with tape (something I had to do from the beginning to not ruin the interior)

The stage where I'm going to start is to draw and make the rivet lines that make up the whole plane. I have some images with the plans and I have seen some videos to try it in this small N1K1.

I'll start with the wings, so I gave them a good polish and hope that everything goes well.

Keep in touch

Actually, the prototype aircraft you are building appears to not have a headrest at all. Notice that the window framing can be seen on the opposite side where a headrest would obscure this.

Thought this picture may be of help as well for other areas.

P.S. I notice in your posted profile that the headrest is absent as well.

Chad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread