1/72 HPM Sea Vixen FAW.2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's my finished build of the 1/72 HPM Sea Vixen FAW.2 in Fleet Air Arm 899 Squadron, HMS Eagle livery, circa 1969-1971.

Being an old HPM injection molded kit, this build needed a lot of TLC to get it together. Think old Airfix or Frog kits amount of effort. But despite all this, it really builds into a beautiful and to my humble opinion, one of the sexiest aircraft ever. The kit comes with detailed resin parts, vacu-formed canopy and detailed landing gears. Lacking in ordnance parts (missiles, rockets, etc), the build needed borrowed parts from the spares box, namely Redtop missiles and 50mm rocket pods. The refueling probe, cockpit, engine intakes and exhaust were also scratch-built.

Colors are Mr Hobby acrylics and weathering is with Mr Hobby weathering pastels and Tamiya panel line accent colors. The kit doesn't come decals, which were both from the spares box and custom made.

This squadron was also part of the British FAA contingent in Singapore, circa 1969-1971, just before the handover of military bases to the newly formed Singapore Air Defence Command (SADC).
This kit is not for the faint of heart, but is touted to be the most accurate in shape in 1/72 scale compared to newer and more detailed kits.

DHSeaVixen_01.jpg

DHSeaVixen_02.jpg

DHSeaVixen_03.jpg

DHSeaVixen_05.jpg

More photos of this build in this link...

Nice one. I've never seen a Sea Vixen in that green colour scheme before - is this something applied at that time? They were normally the grey and white standard FAA colours.

Nice one. I've never seen a Sea Vixen in that green colour scheme before - is this something applied at that time? They were normally the grey and white standard FAA colours.

Errr...green sir? It's supposed to be extra dark grey. Maybe it's a color setting on your end perhaps? I wasn't on the sauce when I was doing the painting. ;)

Much thanks folks, hope this fairs well in an upcoming local event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back