1/72 Short Sunderland Mk.III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MustangFan510

Recruit
Nov 3, 2019
So, I happened across this forum whilst looking at Short Sunderland Mk.III kits and decals. My father used to build kits and he had a 1/72 Sunderland Mk.III that I (in his words) "loved to death" when I was about 2 or 3 years old. I'm now 16 and wanting to say sorry, by building a new one in the same markings if possible. His kit was the 1987 Airfix kit, aircraft serial 2-G DD867, 423 Squadron. I don't think I want to try to track down an original Airfix Kit, but instead go for something newer and possibly better, but it needs to have the same markings so i might be screwed there. What kit is my best option, and where can i find the correct decals?
Regards
Adam

The old Airfix 06001 kit is still offering but in a new box ...

Italeri 1352 kit releasd in 2014

Special Hobby 72162 kit rleasd in 2019

There can be a trouble with finding of the decal markings for the DD867. So, I would suggest buying the old Airfix kit ( for the decals) and either the Italeri or Special Hobby kit that are quite recent products. The Special Hobby kit is for Mk.V but it was the Mk.III actually. Using the Italeri or SH decals that come with the kits you may make the old Airfix model in one of the markings offered by the manufacturers. As a result you can have two models. Just my idea.

Thanks, I had a feeling I was gonna have to buy the Airfix kit just for the markings, but out of the Italeri and Special Hobby kits, which is probably better for a more beginner modeller?

For not much experienced modellers I would recommend the Airfix kit. However it is the general rule. All depends on many other factors eg. money. Actually, most of model kits are designed for not too much skilled guys. So there shouldn't be any trouble with assembling any of them. Just the matter of patience and accuracy in assembling that determinate the final effect of the work. All the kits have the pros and cons.
The Airfix one - not to many parts , quite easy to assemble. But because of the age of the moulds there can be troubles with fitting of parts.
The Italeri kit - a little bit more parts than the Airfix set offeres. Better accuracy of made parts may result in better fitting of them. The kit provides the small set of photoetched parts that requires some experience in attaching if used.
The Special Hobby kit - even more parts than the both above so more work. It is the newest kit so the accuracy and fitting of parts seem to be no problem.
Here you are links to sites where you can watch pics with sprues , etc for all of the kits... I hope this can help you with making decission. I would recommend the Italeri kit but the SH one looks great too.

Airfix .... Airfix 06001 Short Sunderland III
Italeri ... Italeri 1352 SUNDERLAND Mk.III
Special Hobby ... Special Hobby 72162 Short Sunderland V

Also it seems you may find the code letters for the plane using one of the Xtradecal sets

X72212 - size 36/6 inches.

X72211 - size 48/30 inches

X72210 - size 48/24 inches

Users who are viewing this thread