109 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Milosh

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 10, 2009
What was the reason for the slot in the top canopy glazing?

220165317511b.png

Same reason as the sliding side panels - clear view when required, and fresh air in needed. It was later omitted when the heavier hood was fitted to the G.
BTW, the long rectangular piece is not a slot, it's a strip of clear perspex glued onto the top panel to act as a handle - the whole panel slid back, like the side screens.

Thanks. Figured that was the reason.

Why was 'G' canopy heavier than the 'F' canopy?

I'd have to check for certain, but AFAIK, it had toughened transparencies, and, of course, the thicker, heavier 'Panzerglas' armoured shield for the pilot's head. I also seem to recall that the framework needed to be thicker/heavier to prevent excessive flexing and distortion. With all the extra metal work, it's little wonder the 'Erla' hood was introduced. Would have been better still if a hood similar to that used on the Avia had been available, but I think the facilities for 'blowing' Perspex where perhaps not available, or not a priority.

Thanks. Figured that was the reason.

Why was 'G' canopy heavier than the 'F' canopy?

The G series were to have pressurised cockpits, although as it turned out only the G-1, 3 and 5s had pressurisation. A new, welded steel canopy structure was used, instead of the aluminium canopies of the late E and entire F series. For the Gs with pressurisation the canopies were 'double glazed' with silicagel cartridges inserted between the panes to absorb any trapped moisture (just like those small bags of silicagel that comes with camera equipment).

It is nice to see people with knowledge of the 109 besides its performance numbers.

Didn't know the frame changed from aluminium to steel and the thicker glazing. Knew about the double glazing.

:occasion5::occasion5:

I'm a fan of the comic Biggles (new series by W.E. Johns, B.Asso and F. Bergese) in the comic: "Biggles vertelt over De Slag om Engeland" (= Dutch title; the English translation: Biggles tells about: The Battle of Brittain). On page 18 1st picture. It shows a Me 109 E ... with 5 guns (assuming 4 mg and1 cannon) . What E type Me 109 would it be, or is it a drawing error?

See below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

P.s. 2nd time I uploaded me an image WOHOOOO

Last edited:
I'd guess it was a drawing error - can't quite make out the picture in the post. But it's long been a popular belief that the Bf109E had a cannon firing through the prop hub, as with the later F series onwards. This was not the case, as the original design for this was found to be unreliable, and suffered a number of problems, mainly associated with vibration.
No Bf109s in the Battle of Britain are known to have carried a motor cannon. The Bf109Es in the BoB were the E1, with four MGs, and the E3 and E4, with 2 MGs and 2 cannon, first being the MG/FF, and later the MG/FF/m.

Thought so, 1 one of the very few misstakes in the comic I could find at least.
I did some research b4 and the only E with a motorkanon was the E2. Don't know about the other armament on it.

I will post the question here to avoid opening another topic. Apparently all Bf-109 had gun cameras installed on board. Is there any detail on this? was it in all variants? is there a description of the camera available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back