109D Drawings?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bozothenutter

Airman
Feb 10, 2021
I'm working on the Modelsvit 109D-1 and looking into the access hatches on the wings.
The kit and the two sets of drawings I have don't agree....of course!
So, who has the 'best' 109D-1 drawings.
I have :
Valiant wings book
Harald Helmut Vogt book

any other sources, online or otherwise?

Last edited:
B Bozothenutter PM sent

1ab.jpg

spent some time whipping up a compare of the various drawings.
all errors stem from my inability to use GIMP.
apart from the obvious differences in hatches and panel line location, notice the disagreement of the outer edge of the aileron, some have it parallel to the centerline, while others have it at an angle.
so for the hatches, I'm going for the third option, as it makes sense to have a hatch near the slat mechanism as well.
Still deliberating the semi-circular hatch and the hatch nearest the fuselage. If anybody knows what they're for?
wing compare.jpg

So I found some Russian drawings (where do I find the full set?) of an E-3 wing internal structure and it juuuuust shows an angle.
bf-109e3_17.jpg

Here is a shot that shows quite nice the outer tips of the ailerons. It can be noticed that tha Dora dodn't have it parallel to the centerline. But it can be a trick because of the angle the pic was taken with. The shot taken from the top reveal that the aileron tips could be paraller though

bf109d-1.jpg

bf109d-1_.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Regarding the inspection hatches ... I would say that the closest drawing is the fourth one.The Kagero in their Topdrawings series for the Bf 109A-D variants and in the book about Doras over Poland in 1939 and the Monographs series , just published the layout for the tops.

big_TD_012_Mess_A-D.jpg
300.jpg
3001.jpg

the pic source: The Kagero site.

I'm working on the Modelsvit 109D-1 and looking into the access hatches on the wings.
The kit and the two sets of drawings I have don't agree....of course!
So, who has the 'best' 109D-1 drawings.
I have :
Valiant wings book
Harald Helmut Vogt book

any other sources, online or otherwise?

You may find some info here
bf109d1_158.jpg
bf109d1_158.jpg
Bf109D Red1 I.Gruppe 2.Staffel FL.jpg
Bf109D Red1 I.Gruppe 2.Staffel FL.jpg
Bf109D VB+NR FL UC collapse ex JGr101 (2.ZG2) too and in an unknown JFS, wearing a “Gelbe 4” FL.jpg
Bf109D VB+NR FL UC collapse ex JGr101 (2.ZG2) too and in an unknown JFS, wearing a “Gelbe 4” FL.jpg
bf109d1_158.jpgBf109D Red1 I.Gruppe 2.Staffel FL.jpgBf109D VB+NR FL UC collapse ex JGr101 (2.ZG2) too and in an unknown JFS, wearing a “Gelbe 4” FL.jpg

Last edited:
The pic with the " Yellow 10 " looks really fine. There can be noticed the inspection hatches on the undersides. The "Black/Red 1" is actually, useless I would say. The third shot is good but a little too small to notice the details.
Here is the large one .... what a pity the wing tip was damaged. It could help to state if the ailleron outer tip was paraller to the centerline or not. However it can be noticed that there was an inspection round hatch at the place where the balkenkreuz is painted. There isn't any round hatch at the leading adge next to the slat. The plate there was bent and if there would be the round one as the drawings suggested it should be seen. The another one that can be found is the one at the wing tip. But you have to look close enough to see this. So there is only one hatch between the MG hatch and the wing tip. This indicates that the fourth drawing of the wing which seems to be correct.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109D1-Stkz-VB+NR-landing-mishap-showing-wing-structural-damage-01.jpg

the pic source: Messerschmitt Bf 109D1 Stkz VB+NR landing mishap showing wing structural damage 01

The pic with the " Yellow 10 " looks really fine. There can be noticed the inspection hatches on the undersides. The "Black/Red 1" is actually, useless I would say. The third shot is good but a little too small to notice the details.
Here is the large one .... what a pity the wing tip was damaged. It could help to state if the ailleron outer tip was paraller to the centerline or not. However it can be noticed that there was an inspection round hatch at the place where the balkenkreuz is painted. There isn't any round hatch at the leading adge next to the slat. The plate there was bent and if there would be the round one as the drawings suggested it should be seen. The another one that can be found is the one at the wing tip. But you have to look close enough to see this. So there is only one hatch between the MG hatch and the wing tip. This indicates that the fourth drawing of the wing which seems to be correct.

View attachment 624177
the pic source: Messerschmitt Bf 109D1 Stkz VB+NR landing mishap showing wing structural damage 01
I guess I'll take that as a 'thank you for posting' even the 'useless' one.

Sorry if you got it offended but it hasn't been my purpose. There is really no reason for taking offense. By the "useless" I ment that there is neither any hatch on the wing nor the wing at the aileron outer tips seen. Contrary to that those two other images are very helpful with the answer to Bozothenutter's questions.

An unfortunate use of the term, however I'm good thank you for the post. I just want to be helpful and with almost 2000 images of Jumo powered Bf 109's I hope I can be

Bf109D-1 6-72 1.jpg
Bf109D-1 6-55 Gotthardt Handrick & Walter Grabmann 2.jpg
Bf109D-1 6-79 WNr655 3.J88 Luchs Oblt Werner Molders 98.jpg
Bf109 Jumo  Flugplatz Graz-Thalerhof FL.JPG
Bf109D-1 Yellow12 3.JGr126 broken back FL up 3.jpg
Bf109D-1 Yellow12 9.JGr126 broken back FL up 4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back