13's.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sherman_Firefly_MkVc_NZ_Italy44.png

Firefly Mk.VC "Dopo voi", New Zealand 15th Armoured Regiment, 4th Armoured Brigade, Trieste, Italy, May 1945....

All depends of the film type the pic was taken with. I would say the yellow but the red one is very likely too. HOwever the black outline is more characteristic for the yellow codes.

405059_b9a0bda04affa2c9864b19d1e8fe8c45.jpg

Bf 109E Yellow 13_JG52_.jpg

Jan. while looking fro more info of the "13" I have found the pic. The caption says the "Red 1" and I would say that's it. The small triangle with the fuel octane info is almost unseen. If the shot would be taken with the film that shows the yellow colour as the dark one the trinagle was of the same dark tone the digit is. The pic seems to be an evidence that the squadron used the red numbers with the black outline in 1939/1940 .

Bf-109E1-6.JG52-Yellow-1-Werner-Lederer-named-Hans-Beck-France-1940-01.jpg

That's true Terry. However the fuel marking should be dark too if the "1" would be of the yellow.

Here is a shot I found a while ago. The "12" doesn't seem to be of yellow comparing to the fuel triangle that is very light.. but of course I might be wrong.

a13,1.jpg

6JG52_a.jpg

It's also interesting to note, even though that the Yellow 6 and Yellow 9 are within the same Staffel, they're both in a very different style from each other....the 6 being much more rounded in shape, the 9 much more square....

Yep.. it seems that there wasn't any rule for that. Just all depended on a maintenace crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back