1939 Polish Khaki, what colour was it? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ian Shaw

Recruit
Apr 13, 2020
Hi Folks,

I currently have a passion for the History of Polish Fighter Aces from 1939 through to 1945, I have spent the last year collecting various 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft kits with which I intend to build a homage collection to my favorite Aces. The two main characters I am interested in are Joself Frantisek (who was in fact a Czech) and Fraciszek Grabowski. I am also fascinated by the aircraft that the Poles flew in France during the spring and early summer of 1940 during the Battle of France.

So far I have built 6 of the French aircraft and have now started on the Polish ones, having just completed a 1/48 Mirage Models RWD-8 Trainer and Observation monoplane, here below.

IMG_1646.jpg

I use Hitaka and Tamiya paints on my models and painted this one with Tamiya XF 62 Olive Drab as it appeared to be the closest green I could find, as looking at pictures the green used on these and many Polish aircraft at the time had a brown tint to it. I know that the PZL11C fighters were actually painted a Late Dark Khaki that is actually brown and the Hataka Polish paint set is spot on for that particular aircraft but I am having big problems with the green used on the non fighter types as I think this XF 62 may be too dark!

The next model I am building is a 1/72 PK Kits PWS 26 Trainer Biplane here is a photo of the actual aircraft in the Krakow Polish Air Force Museum that I visited last June.

G.jpg

As you can see it appears to be a lighter green than XF 62 and it has a brown tint, so my question is - does anyone know the closest Tamiya green to this colour or how to mix it with Tamiya paints. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

It is said that the PWS factory used the FS 30097 Khaki I for their planes.However the colour in the pic is the FS 30118 (RAL 7008) PZL Khaki I. The colour was found during her restoration under the plane nameplate.
The Tamiya equivalent for the colours can be :

FS 30097 - XF58
FS 30118 - XF64

The colour in the photo looks close to olive drab which is easy to mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back