1944: the best fighter under 15000 ft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, Bill,
US 100K has something lacking for the Allison Mustangs. Ie. there is no graph depicting plane's performance on WER. The climb rates, on WER, are above 3000 ft/min from SL until 9500 ft. The WER was 1480 HP, from SL to ~9000 ft, as one can read on Williams' site.
Interestingly enough, the US 100K gives RoC of under 3000 ft/min, WER, between SL and 15000 ft. Those are in agreement with values where engine was operating on 60-61" (so, military, not WER), on Williams' site.

I stand corrected - I shoulda looked before I lept. One advantage the Allison did have over the Merlin was that it ran smoother at low revs and could be leaned out to provide greater range at low altitudes; one reason 2 TAF Tac Recon squadrons hung onto their Mustang Is and IIs for so long was that they couldn't find anything to match their combination of high speed and range.

I agree but the RAF late version of low altitude merlin was an excellent performer...

With the F.4R version of the Allison, it would perform very well against the P-51B/C/D but peaked IIRC around 10K. perfect for Tactical/Recce

The 100K plots for climb included only the 'ruptured duck 1710-39 IIRC. Tomo I don't recall that the -81 was documented beyond 57" - which is where the P-51 Mustang Performance report is found

More discussion is referenced for the 56.8" WEP run - which was at 396Mph, with racks, and no special surface prep at 9700 feet, and 409mph after pumice and water finish.
The Report
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/P-51-A_43-6007_Flight_Tests.pdf including plots for 52 and 57"
The dashed line represents 56.8" dash and climb runs with ~3750 fpm at 9700 feet 7600 pounds

Tests comparing the Tempest V to the Mustang III demonstrated that while the Mustang was generally outperformed by the Tempest up to 20,000ft it was certainly not embarrassed, whereas above 25000ft the Mustang was all over the Tempest like a cheap suit. So, if I wanted an aircraft for low to medium altitude work, including a bit of ground attack, the Tempest is certainly the better option. But if I wanted one aircraft to do it all at any altitude it would be the Mustang any day. All fighters were compromises, but the P-51 was probably the closest anyone came to building a fighter that was all things to all men. It just wasn't the BEST fighter below 15000ft.

Sorry for not performing a more complete analysis, in a timely manner.
The plane from the quoted part of may post refers to the P-51B, and the RoC ar in range between 3100-3500 fpm, from deck to 15000 ft, 1650-3 engine. So I've compared those values with ones at Williams' site, where we can read the values of 4000 fps, +-, from various tests. Ie. my point was to underline that values from the US 100K are not the last say on P-51 performance, I was not saying that P-51A was a better performer than P-51B (it was not). Especially with advent of the 1650-7 engine.

The 100K plots for climb included only the 'ruptured duck 1710-39 IIRC. Tomo I don't recall that the -81 was documented beyond 57" - which is where the P-51 Mustang Performance report is found

The 1710-81 (ie. P-51A) is also in the chart, but chart lacks the values when engine is run on WER. The MAP value, power and altitude, as represented in the US 100K again do not match what can be read in manuals for the 1710-81 - manuals flight tests say 57in (=1420 HP, manuals, or 1480, flight tests)was obtainable above 10000 ft only with ram, the US 100K says 57in was obtainable at 11800, no ram, but gives only 1330 HP for the stated altitude MAP.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread