1948 Israel-what combat aircraft would you pick?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would think that the Hellcat, like the F6F-5, might work for Israel.

It was a solid performer, proved itself more than capable both in aerial combat as well as ground attack and was readily available in numbers and parts at war's end.
A far better fate for them than just being pushed over the side.

I confess I hadn't even thought about the Corsair, in any of it's variants. it would be a better choice than the T-bolt or the Tempest. I think of the Corsair as a naval aircraft, and I dismissed it. Shame on me for that. On second thought, it probably IS a better choice than my other two choices. Any of those three would work pretty well, I'd think.

The F4U-4 and -5 had, apparently, a pretty decent two-stage supercharger for good high altitude performance. I think that would be my choice. Preferably the variant with 4x20mm cannons.

Considering this is a nascent air force with inexperienced ground crew operating in a dusty environment in a desperate struggle for survival, I'd stay as far away from the Tempest as possible. Or more accurately, anything powered by the Sabre.

SAAB 21
British and US would probably not be willing to sell new, but only surplus.
It's faster than the S-199, better climb rate and less of a beast to handle. Similar range
Could be had in a ground attack version with racks for Rockets and bombs

Saab 21 is an interesting design, though availability of DB 605 engines and spare parts might be an issue.

What fuel? I would like to know how a new state get militairy aviation fuel suitable for top tier 1945 fighters. Forget about the parts, they are less of a head ache.

Saab 21 is an interesting design, though availability of DB 605 engines and spare parts might be an issue.
Less of a problem than keeping the Jumos running in the Avias they actually got. Swedes didn't seem to have operational issues with them, before moving over to jet power
What fuel? I would like to know how a new state get militairy aviation fuel suitable for top tier 1945 fighters. Forget about the parts, they are less of a head ache.
DB-605 ran on 87 octane.
The Israelis used C-47/DC-3 that liked higher octane than that.

Tough to argue with the F4U-5, besides the possibility that they would be more difficult to source, due to their relative "newness".

Related question. Israel was surrounded on 3 sides by enemies waging war against her. The country was tiny and in the original partition plan, insanely fragmented. There was no channel to provide protection and time to prepare for an incoming air strike. So I question-what did Israel have for an air defense network? Were they able to acquire radar systems or any anti-aircraft guns? Were radar systems banned by the arms embargo? I've been doing some research but haven't come across any answers.

Thanks for the info. I'm curious-what was done to modify the aircraft for pure ground-attack? Thanks.

The XF4U-6 that became AU was characterised by : the guns fixed to slightly fire downward, reinforcement of the armor protection, removal of the useless wing radar wiring. For the rest, a classic F4U.

Along with the 94 F4U-7s, the French Navy received 69 AU-1s.

The F4U-4 and -5 had, apparently, a pretty decent two-stage supercharger for good high altitude performance. I think that would be my choice. Preferably the variant with 4x20mm cannons.

The AU-1 featured extensive armor protection, and the four stub pylons for HVARs under each wing were switched to five small stores pylons, either for HVARs or light bombs.
Armament of four M3 cannon, with a total of 924 rounds of ammunition, was retained.
It featured an R-2800-83W Double Wasp engine with 1,716 kW (2,300 HP) take-off power but only a single-stage supercharger; as a "mudfighter", the AU-1 would operate at low altitudes and so a two-stage supercharger or turbocharger system was regarded as unnecessary.

I believe the AD Skyraider was available at the time. The bomb load, the 20mm, the loiter time, and fairly decent regarding ruggedness.

Skyraiders are nice.
However, you had to deal with Egyptian, Jordanian and Syrian ex-RAF aircraft. Skyraiders would have difficulty with Spitfire IXs and Mosquitos.

I believe the AD Skyraider was available at the time. The bomb load, the 20mm, the loiter time, and fairly decent regarding ruggedness.
The AD-1 was still going into service with the USN and USMC in 1948, it is highly unlikely that the US was going to take a brand new aircraft, which was still in the work up stage and offer it for export to Israel, let alone anyone else.

Regarding the Mosquito: neither Egypt, Jordan or Syria operated the Mossie. Israel, however, did.

Regarding the Mosquito: neither Egypt, Jordan or Syria operated the Mossie. Israel, however, did.
Accident de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito PR Mk 34 VL620,
1711896087034.png

Counterfactuals can be fun (Corsairs!) but they're irrelevant to reality. Amazon has lots & lots of books on the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, with nearly all the aviation aspects from the Israeli perspective.

When I was secretary of the American Fighter Aces Assn I got to know Rudi Augarten, who probably retired the trophy for most types flown in combat. He scored in P-47s in WW II plus the Avia, Spitfires and Mustangs in 1948.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back