1957 Airfix 1/72 Short sunderland flyingboat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, I'm a newbie here on a bit of a search. I work as a Dementia Care Assistant (that aside), my boyfriend's Father has Dementia and he used to work on the Short Sunderland Flying Boats. I'm trying to find a model that either I can make for him or which has already been made, but I am finding the search to be very difficult.

G'day, and welcome to the forum! Airfix have rereleased that kit, so you should be able to find it on the 'Hannants' (UK) or 'Squadron' (US) hobby shop websites, among others. If still no joy, drop me a PM!
By the way, Italeri either have, or are going to, release a new Sunderland Mk.I kit too, quite different to the Mk.III version that Airfix produce. Do you know what squadron your boyfriend's father was in? It might help clarify the version used, and which kit would be better.

Boats... don't know how I missed this thread, but nice work on indeed on (IMO too) the most beautiful of the 'boats... One question though, how come the streaks down the fuse' and across the wings?

The Italer 1/72nd scale Sunderland is the Mk1, available now at £35 to £40. The old Airfix kit (not as detailed, but still basically good) is the MkIII at around £19 (UK prices incl tax).
I'm not sure, but I think Corgi have a 1/144th scale die cast, pre-built, painted etc, which I'd guess would be anywhere between about £50 and £100+ . (might not be Corgi, but I have seen a die cast advertised somewhere!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back