1957 Airfix 1/72 Short sunderland flyingboat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy
This is the oldest model I have in my colloection I recieved this kit from my late aunt and uncle, they both went to England for a vacation to visit the Tea Clipper Cutty Sark. I was 17 years old then in 1957, ready to join the navy to see the world. when they got back they knew I love model planes and boats they presented me with this kit. My eyes popped out with excitement along with rubbing hands.I never heard of airfix the only kits gthat were available in my boyhood was Revell, Moinogram. ringo ITC. Aurora. Lindberg, and comet also stombecker. Airfix along with Frog and airlines didn,t hit the the U.S. until 1963, I mean to tell there was kits I have never seen before I call airfix the Revell of England. I have most of their kits in my stash pile for future builds, I will post them here. Here is my Porkupine.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 263
  • PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 259
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 245
  • PICT0005-1.jpg
    PICT0005-1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 236
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 247
There used to be one outside the Royal Air Force Museum in Hendon England. I think it's been moved inside now but I'm not sure. I was there in 77 so who knows. I still have my Airfix Sunderland. Not as nice as yours and hurting a bit but it was a good kit Airfix wise !
Apparently the Germans named it the Stachelschwein (sp) Because it had bullets coming from every where and none of the ones fired back at it hit anything.

Great to see this one again Boats!
I remember building the same kit around 1963, and it was quiet complex for those days.
OK, by today's standards, it might be fairly basic, but Airfix were world leaders in model kits at that time, concentrating more on scale reproductions, rather than 'gimmicks', and they spurned a whole new world of modellers - today's 'generation', those who now, would not know what to do with a kit which did't have metal etch parts, resin accessories etc.!!

Great to see this one again Boats!
I remember building the same kit around 1963, and it was quiet complex for those days.
OK, by today's standards, it might be fairly basic, but Airfix were world leaders in model kits at that time, concentrating more on scale reproductions, rather than 'gimmicks', and they spurned a whole new world of modellers - today's 'generation', those who now, would not know what to do with a kit which did't have metal etch parts, resin accessories etc.!!

Ahoy Terry
thank you for wonderfull reply on my porkupine. Yes sir you are right these old airfix kits are old school. todays generation on modeling want it all photo etch and resin anything that muliti-media accessories I can live without those photo etch parts they are nice and they are the stae of art I can live without them If i feel like i want to do any super detailing i build it in from scratch. all of my collections and the ones I have posted here are SOB straight out of the box. I been very fond of airfix kits they are a joy to build in my book they are the best. The old Frog and airline kits are tops I am very greatfull I had the sense of buying and collecting all of the Frog airlines and airfix kits that are in my stash pile un built kits I knew someday they would be out of production, I think i will build a Frog Bristol Blemhien for a build thread here in a couple days. thanks Terry for viewing my old porkupine.

Boats

Here's a couple of shots of the Sunderland in the museum at Duxford, UK.

Attachments

• Czech 001.jpg
    Czech 001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Duxford  May 2011 075.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 075.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 221
Not any more David. The last flying example was a 'civilianised' version, in the UK (managed to see it back in 1989, flying down the Solent).
It was exported to the USA, and is now a static exhibit. I think there were some pics in a link to Sunderland thread posted a few days ago.

Ahoy Terry
Thankx for the picture Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww she is Beaut, what a wonderfull flyingboat I always loved the sunderland she had clean lines and she was a true flyingboat.I havge two of these kits in my unbuilt stash pile If i ever get the notion to build another I would model it the way the picture you sent A Beautifull bird indeed. thank you Terry and thyank you all fellas for your reply on my sunderland.

Boats

This brings back memories. I also built the Sunderland somewhere around 1957 or 58. It is long gone now. There was a hobby shop in Nashville, TN that stocked Airfix and I don't remember how many I had, but there was a lot. I still have a PBY in the stash along with an Airlines B-26 Marauder.

Very nice job on yours, Boats.

Not any more David. The last flying example was a 'civilianised' version, in the UK (managed to see it back in 1989, flying down the Solent).
It was exported to the USA, and is now a static exhibit. I think there were some pics in a link to Sunderland thread posted a few days ago.
Airframes is this the Sunderland at Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight?

I love that old kit. I recall building it in 1971. It was the first kit I weathered. I distinctly recall using Humbrol rust to replicate what I had seen on ships. I remember being very proud of myself. I was 7.

Thanks for the memories and your fine work.

Allen.

This is in Kermit Weeks' museum in Lakeland, Florida. I just visited the place a little while back for the Soar and Roar event. Lot's of WWII stuff, Kermit making fly-bys in his P-51B, sports car displays and time trial course runs on the ramp, motor cycle jumping and hyrofoils racing in the water runway.

BTW, not to pirate this thread but I had a chance to wander the interiors of a B-26 Marauder, B-25 Mitchell and a B-17. Very cramped but what struck me a possibly short-sighted was the demure sizes of their bomb bays. Puny. What's the point? Anyway, here's Kermit's Sunderland. I have no idea if he has any restoration/travel plans with it.

Fantasy of Flight's Short Sunderland

Deckape, very nice looking model. Do you use spray cans to get the look you want?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back