1st Air Commando P-51A markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Phill87

Airman
Nov 2, 2020
Zagreb, Croatia
Hello,
I have a question about the type of roundel on a P-51A flown by Col. Cochrane of 1st Air Commando. It seems to me from the photo that the roundel is of older type with a red outline.
It is the second plane on a photo below. Photo was taken in early 1944 over Burma.
P-51A_Mrs_Virginia_Maj_Robert_Petit_1st_Air_Commando_Group.jpg

I think that some of the P-51As of 1st Air commando carried red outlined roundels into 1944. Like the one below. Those are clearly red outlined roundels. Correct me if I'm wrong
04.jpg

Thanks for any help!

I think that some of the P-51As of 1st Air commando carried red outlined roundels into 1944.

I would think its a fairly good possibility because I have seen a few pics of A-36 and P-40s based in Italy that retained the red outline for various reasons beyond its replacement into 1944. I dont recall seeing any of 1st AC but that doesnt mean it never happened.

If you search the web for photos of Robert T. Smith who was an ace with the AVG Flying Tigers and 1st Air Commando pilot, you will find a few sources of his color images from WW2. I have a couple of images that I found that show the red markings still in use in 1944. I know that akg-images has high quality prints for listed for sale on their website. There is a color photo of six aircraft in flight with the third ship from the top showing red outlines (tail number 14) and another of the same aircraft parked next to "Miss Virginia".

Hope this helps.

If you search the web for photos of Robert T. Smith who was an ace with the AVG Flying Tigers and 1st Air Commando pilot, you will find a few sources of his color images from WW2. I have a couple of images that I found that show the red markings still in use in 1944. I know that akg-images has high quality prints for listed for sale on their website. There is a color photo of six aircraft in flight with the third ship from the top showing red outlines (tail number 14) and another of the same aircraft parked next to "Miss Virginia".

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, it helped! I found a color photo of white 14 showing red outlines among Smith's photos. Im building my model with red outlines!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back