2017 NFL Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I thought I'd start off the season with my predictions

NFC East
Dallas
11-5
The Cowturds are good but will miss their RB for 6 games because he is an off the field POS. Dez is one bad game away from having another spoiled baby fit. Will Dak continue the superstar breakout or suffer in his sophomore season and the NFC East is wicked tough top to bottom

NY Giants
9-6
A good defense last year should be even better. If their O-line was better they could take the division.

Philadelphia
9-6
Wentz should be better and they added Alshon Jeffery, LeGarrette Blount, and Torrey Smith. They are hurting at corner and will have to guard Dez and OBJ in 4 games.

Washington
8-8
Ranked by FPI with the toughest schedule in the NFL, Redskins will put up a fight but will come out ho-hum

NFC West
Arizona
8-8
I think their record could be worse as their offense continues to age and that vaunted defense can't do all the scoring.

LA Rams
7-9
Must improve over last years 4-12 record and they gave Goff the weapons to do it. Wade Phillips is the new DC so there should be improvement

San Francisco
5-11
Signs of improvement, a decent schedule, and an easy division (except Seattle).

Seattle
12-4
The Seadawgs and Mr. Loudmouth Richard Sherman will have another good year. Schedule strength is one of the easiest in the NFL

NFC North
Chicago
6-10
They can't blame Cutler anymore but having an easy schedule won't help. 2nd year RB Jordan Howard needs a bunch of help and there just isn't any on this offense

Detroit
6-10
Tough schedule makes for a tough year for Stafford

Green Bay
11-5
Offense is full of productive healthy veterans and they will need to be good. Defense is average.

Minnesota
6-10
Defense is terrific but will wear out since their offense will be, well, ghostly, spectral, non-existant.

NFC South
Atlanta
11-5
Can they shake the Superbowl collapse? Yes! Steve Sarkisian as the OC will have the offense clicking and defense is stout.

Carolina
9-6
All depends on Cam. Could go 7-9, could to 11-5.

New Orleans
8-8
Brees is still playing well and has some offensive targets, including adding Adrian Petterson, but that defense.....blehhh

Tampa Bay
9-6
Starting RB Doug Martin will begin the season with a 3 game suspension and Winston doesn't have the firepower to overcome a season opening hole.

AFC East
Buffalo
4-12
Traded their top two players but avoiding the word "rebuilding". If it walks like a duck.......

Miami
10-6
Cutler will win some games and throw some away but there are too many offensive weapons to give them a lower record.

New England
14-2
They won't go undefeated because their defense is thin on the outside line, but they should go back to the Superbowl.

New York Jets
1-15
This team is so awful, unpleasant, ugly, dreadful, and terrible, I had to use a thesaurus to come up with all the adjectives. Traded or cut all their experience. They play the Patriots and Dolphins twice, play Falcons and Panthers at home, and travel to Denver, New Orleans, and Tampa. OUCH!!!

AFC West
Denver
6-10
FPI has them with the 2nd toughest schedule this year. QB situation is not good and Von Miller and Demarius Thomas can only do so much.

Kansas City
11-5
Chiefs will win the AFC West for the 2nd year IF they can hold off the Raiders

LA Chargers
7-9
Better than last year but still have a way to go. Rivers needs to buy everyone a $200,000 SUV to watch game film in on the way to the stadium.

Oakland
10-6
One of the toughest schedules for the 2017 season and will challenge KC for the division

AFC North
Baltimore
7-9
Upgrades on defense were supposed to help, but this team has been hit hard with season ending injuries, suspensions, and retirements this summer (10 players). Also QB Joe Flacco has a bad back and didn't play during the preseason.

Cincinnati
8-8
Fairly easy schedule helps this team out.

Cleveland
4-12
Well, it's better than 1-15 from last year. First 4 games are Steelers, @Ravens, @Colts, and the Bengals. That's a rough start with an offense that ranks 2nd to last.

Pittsburgh
12-4
This is the only team that can legit worry the Patriots. Defense is top 3 in the league and offense is LOADED. All depends on Ben staying healthy. Should be one heck of an AFC championship game.

AFC South
Houston
9-6
Defense is great with Watt and Clowney is supposed to break out, but that offense is going to need some break out stars to keep Watt and Co. off the field

Indianapolis
8-8
According to FPI, the Colts have the easiest schedule this year. Their record could go either way depending on how Luck recovers

Jacksonville
5-12
Blake Bortles has too many turnovers (63 in 3 years) and backup Chad Henne has 63 INT's in 53 starts. No bueno.

Tennessee
9-7
Offense gets much better by adding Corey David and Eric Decker. We shall see if Mariota has recovered from his leg injury.

Football is back baby! Hoping my 49ers show some improvement this year. I expect that, we finally have a great coach again, and I really love what Lynch has been doing as GM. He owned the Draft this year that is for sure.

On to my pics.

Week 1

New England Patriots 23-17 Kansas City Chiefs
Houston Texans 17-14 Jacksonville Jaguars
Washington Redskins 27-24 Philadelphia Eagles
Arizona Cardinals 30-23 Detroit Lions
Oakland Raiders 34-13 Tennessee Titans
Buffalo Bills 13-6 New York Jets
Atlanta Falcons 33-13 Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals 20-17 Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers 24-14 Cleveland Browns
Los Angeles Rams 14-13 Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers 26-20 San Francisco 49ers (Please let me be wrong...lol)
Green Bay Packers 33-30 Seattle Seahawks
Dallas Cowboys 27-20 New York Giants
New Orleans Saints 33-20 Minnesota Vikings
Denver Broncos 23-20 Los Angeles Chargers

I believe Alex Smith feels he has to show up a bit more this year to show his value. There's a good cjance he won't be with us(KC) next year. With some more experience and development our rookie QB-Mahomes looks to be a great draft.

Could be JBlessing. Mahommes was a beast at Texas Tech but that doesn't translate to the pro level all the time. We shall see how he develops.

Last Week 9-6
Overall: 9-6

Week 2:

Cincinnati Bengals 27-20 Houston Texans
New England Patriots 30-27 New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 22-10 Chicago Bears
Kansas City Chiefs 24-21 Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers 26-17 Minnesota Vikings
Baltimore Ravens 20-13 Cleveland Browns
Carolina Panthers 24-9 Buffalo Bills
Arizona Cardinals 27-10 Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans 20-3 Jacksonville Jaguars
Oakland Raiders 33-6 New York Jets
Los Angeles Chargers 27-21 Miami Dolphins
Seattle Seahawks 24-14 San Francisco 49ers
Washington Redskins 24-16 Los Angeles Rams
Dallas Cowboys 24-21 Denver Broncos
Green Bay Packers 26-23 Atlanta Falcons
New York Giants 22-21 Detroit Lions

Last Week: 11-5
Overall: 20-11

This Week:

San Francisco 49ers 23-17 Los Angeles Rams
Baltimore Ravens 24-13 Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots 33-14 Houston Texans
Philadelphia Eagles 27-24 New York Giants
Indianapolis Colts 17-10 Cleveland Browns
Miami Dolphins 23-6 New York Jets
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-20 Minnesota Vikings
Denver Broncos 30-17 Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers 27-24 New Orleans Saints
Pittsburgh Steelers 26-10 Chicago Bears
Atlanta Falcons 36-27 Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks 23-7 Tennessee Titans
Green Bay Packers 30-17 Cincinnati Bengals
Kansas Chiefs 24-21 Los Angeles Chargers
Oakland Raiders 31-20 Washington Redskins
Dallas Cowboys 25-20 Arizona Cardinals

I mostly agree with these exceptions

San Francisco 49ers 23-17 Los Angeles Rams - I would flip the score and pick LA (the team LA actually wants)
Baltimore Ravens 24-13 Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots 33-14 Houston Texans
Philadelphia Eagles 27-24 New York Giants
Indianapolis Colts 17-10 Cleveland Browns - 24-10 Browns. The Colts are terrible and the Browns show a little promise
Miami Dolphins 23-6 New York Jets
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-20 Minnesota Vikings
Denver Broncos 30-17 Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers 27-24 New Orleans Saints - I might favor the Saints at home. Carolina only put up 9 points last week
Pittsburgh Steelers 26-10 Chicago Bears
Atlanta Falcons 36-27 Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks 23-7 Tennessee Titans
Green Bay Packers 30-17 Cincinnati Bengals
Kansas Chiefs 24-21 Los Angeles Chargers - Good pick, but more like 38-13. Chiefs are good, Chargers aren't
Oakland Raiders 31-20 Washington Redskins
Dallas Cowboys 25-20 Arizona Cardinals

As for SF, we shall see. At some point they have to have a good game. The Defense is actually looking good. The offense will have 2 or 3 complete games, every team does. The Niners always seem to step up against the Rams. Look at last year, only two wins came against them.

That is a good point. SF D is better this year for sure. It's the offensive that has me worried. 12 points in 2 games (no TD's) compared to 66 for the Rams.

Ehh.....we shall see.

We lost, but it was one hell of a game. Possibly the best game of the season so far. Ended up being a chess match shoot out in the end.

I will never blame the refs, simply because if you get it done to begin with they can't decide the game. Having said that however a late 4th Qtr bogus Offensive Pass Interference call on the 49ers, and a late 4th Qtr Defensive Pass Interferance in the End Zone that was not called on the Rams decided the game.

Either way, proud of them. They played well. Had this offense showed up against the Panthers and Seaturds, we would be 2-1 and not 0-3.

Shanahan and Lynch are turning this team around.

How do you guys feel about NFL games being played in London?

Bad for the teams.

Bad for the longtime home fans who miss out on a game where they should be played.

Having said that, I went to the 49ers vs. Broncos game in London back in 2010. It was a lot of fun...

It was also great for all the military and their families stationed in Europe, but other than that I think the regular season games need to be played in the US.

Can you imagine Manchester United or Arsenal playing precious regular season matches in the US. Their fans would be livid.

Bad for the teams.

Bad for the longtime home fans who miss out on a game where they should be played.
Having said that, I went to the 49ers vs. Broncos game in London back in 2010. It was a lot of fun...
It was also great for all the military and their families stationed in Europe, but other than that I think the regular season games need to be played in the US.
Can you imagine Manchester United or Arsenal playing precious regular season matches in the US. Their fans would be livid.
I couldn't agree more Adler. What many outside UK don't realise is how close almost all clubs are to each other. Liverpool Everton Manchester United and City are just about 30 miles apart and just two hours away from London where there are Chelsea Spurs Arsenal Crystal Palace and West Ham. If it is a game between big local or national rivals the fans will be furious if it isn't like Bournemouth versus Stoke what is the point?

Having said that there was a guy involved with the NFL said a London game makes sense in international terms. A 2PM kick off in London is early morning in much of USA and prime time in the far east. Personally as with football it is all about money and in my view a club that pays £1 billion for the team and £2 million a week for a players wages has enough. The new stadium being built for Tottenham Hotspur has two pitches one for soccer and the other for NFL football.
Tottenham Hotspur will have world's first dividing retractable pitch, so they can host football and NFL

It's going to happen with the European leagues and the US as well. Already happens in rugby with games being played across the pond. I've got tickets to the London games this year so it's good for me too.

Indeed good game last night. Looks like the new coaching team has started to turn things around. Lots of promising QB talent for next years draft too.

True. I think at halftime he had 9 yards passing. If his back is that jacked up he needs to retire. It's not just the pain management but it has to do with mobility. To generate velocity your back has to rotate with the throw and his obviously can't, at least not consistently.

Last Week: 8-8
Overall: 28-20

Week 4:

Green Bay Packers 30-14 Chicago Bears
New Orleans Saints 23-17 Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots 37-16 Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars 20-6 New York Jets
Tennessee Titans 20-13 Houston Texans
Minnesota Vikings 24-21 Detroit Lions
Dallas Cowboys 34-30 Los Angeles Rams
Atlanta Falcons 30-20 Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers 23-21 Baltimore Ravens