240 IAP La-5F/FN ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We know for long time that only 2 camo schemes were used by the fighters of the VVS between July 1941 and the end of the war => green/black and grey/grey (and sometimes only one grey at the end of the war)
I agree Steph. Except for the temporary winter camo (white or even silver sometimes) I believe you are correct - Green//Black first and Grey/Grey later, were the main camo standards and it's very strange to see profile illustrations of planes of that period coloured in one solid green colour, or in two tones of green. M.Timin (a russian WW2 aviation historian) said that before summer of 1943 (as in - during WW2) only green/black camo was used.

I think A.Stankov's rationale might be that in the actual wartime 'field conditions' the planes were repainted with whatever paint was available to them, as per the stories of the veterans he interviewed. But that doesn't explain why some planes he drew (built between 1942-1944) were one solid green colour to begin with (not repainted?). I am not sure that the orders to follow standard camo colours were broken so often, especially at the factories.

I personally think, like you, that it's always safer to presume that the fighters of that period were painted Green/Black or Grey/Grey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back