451st Bomb Group Italy WW II B-24s Castaluccia (sp?) Field

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

May 27, 2024
I am interested in my father's old out fit and used to belong to their (now closed) Veterans Group. I have some information for the person (post I saw was dated 2015 & was an artist) or persons interested in the fate of the B-24 known as Hey Moe.

My father was a flight engineer whose crew sometimes flew on this plane. Many of the other planes his crew flew only had numbers. My dad was not part of the 1st crew, and obviously was not part of its last crew (who all died when the plane crashed). If anyone is interested in a possible contributing factor in this crash they can post here.

In a post I read, ground quarters and routines were described. It also stated that it was the Ground Crew who named this plane. Odd?

I noticed an inaccuracy in procedure mentioned as SOP for measures taken before the plane was OKed for take off. The last word on plane readiness was not actually the Ground Crew Chief, as stated I believe the post did mention that the pilot could walk around for a last inspection, but that wasn't always done. But a crucial point left out was that the plane's Flight Engineer could also "red line" the plane causing the Ground Crew to have to do a complete re-inspection. The pilot could over rule his flight engineer if he did this, but my dad's pilot trusted him completely. My dad ALWAYS red-lined Hey Moe. Every single time, but not necessarily any other plane. Re-inspection never found the problem, but it occurred on every single flight. Apparently the flaw only happened in flight, every flight by the time my dad was on the plane. My dad really hated that plane. In the air, a fuel (oil?) leak would open up and stream over one wing on the plane on every single flight. Some years ago, I read that someone who witnessed the crash of Hey Moe, noted that the first sign of the plane being in trouble was that one wing dipped toward the ground and that began the crash. (I believe it crashed on take off after getting off the runway. Not sure.) Maybe this leak was related to the plane's ultimate fate.

Hello there, OldDogSleeping47. I can't help you out but there must be members who can. It's a very interesting history and I hope you have more.

1717017599493.gif

51090 (451st BG, *Hey Moe*) crashed on takeoff Nov 14, 1944 when wing broke. All 11 on board killed.

http://hey_moe.tripod.com/​

42-51090 HEY MOE aka LOIS M (725th #40)
Departed the USA on May 1, 1944. Assigned to the 451st in July.
She flew 67 missions in 69 days. For this her Crew Chief, Gaylord
Ault, was awarded the Bronze Star. She sustained flak damage to
the left wing, which was repaired. On November 13th, returning
from a "PX" flight to Bari, the pilot made a "hard" landing. On
November 14, 1944, a new crew took her up for gunnery practice
before flying their first combat mission. Just after take off the left
wing buckled between #1 and #2 engines. HEY MOE crashed in a
field, killing all 11 men on board. Records reveal that there were
288 hours and 50 minutes of flight time after the wing was repaired.
It is believed that the hard landing may have caused the wing to
become weakened, thus the subsequent failure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back