4th Fighter Group Pics for Ridgerunner III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Hi Guys,

I am interested in doing Mac Mackinnon's P51D Ridgerunner III and was hoping to find some good pics of this aircraft. I have looked around the net and haven't found any real good ones. If any of you guys can provide some pictures or direct me to a book or web link that has some it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave.

I found lots.

8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

_Pierce2.jpg
_WD-ARidgeRunnerLast.jpg
mckennon2.jpg

Last edited:
Google is your friend...

Ridge Runner III 44-72308 clearly visible
Ridge_Runner_III.jpg

00046.jpg

Ridge Runner II 44-14221 => error or Ridge Runner III 44-72308 in a previous configuration regarding victories and mirors...? => Edit: most probably 44-72308 in a previous configuration...
rriii10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I did search google and found some pictures but some that you guys posted I had not seen before. I think ridgerunner with the double rear view mirrors is the more common ones that I have seen. The ones with the single mirror do not seem to be all that common.

Found this on www.mustangsmustanges.com.

Some WWII History:nnP51-D-20-NA, 44-14570/WD-A 'RIDGE RUNNER', Flown by Major Pierce 'Mac' McKennon, Officer Commanding 335th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, Spring 1944.nnMajor McKennon is credited with 12 kills and flew:nnTwo B's; 42-106911/WD-A (named 'Yippi Joe'), and 43-6896/WD-A (unnamed). Four D's; 44-14221/WD-A (named 'Ride Runner II), 44-14570/WD-A (named 'Ridge Runner'), 44-63166/WD-A (unnamed), and 44-72308/WD-A (named 'Ridge Runner III').nnThe photo pictured is of Ridge Runner, with crosses indicating he had not yet scored his last aerial kill. I believe the number of crosses on your photo is an incorrect restoration for the Ridge Runner. I think the Ridge Runner could only have borne 8 or 9 crosses, not the eleven shown. Too bad owners don't do their research better.nnMajor McKennon was a talented pianist and music student from the University of Arkansas. He initially showed little aptitude for flying, being washed out of USAAF training. Undeterred, he joined the RCAF and eventually reached a Spitfire squadron based in Britain, before finally transferring the USAAF in November 1942. He was shot down twice, avoided capture the first time and was smuggled out by the French Resistance. His second period in enemy territory was much more brief, since one of his pilots landed and flew his squadron commander back to Debden on his lap! McKennon amassed 11 aerial victories, seven of them in the P51, with a further 9.68 strafing kills.nnHis final Mustang (44-72308 Ridge Runner III) carried an Arkansas razorback on the nose (forward of the cockpit), rushing past two parachutes (his number of times shot down). It had a black-edged white rudder indicated the 335 FS. It had the red nose color sweeping back and down across the number three exhaust, and two rows of ten crosses directly below the port exhaust stack. Evidently, near the end of the war, they painted both the aerial and the strafing kills enmasse.

97.jpg

Found this on www.mustangsmustanges.com.

Some WWII History:nnP51-D-20-NA, 44-14570/WD-A 'RIDGE RUNNER', Flown by Major Pierce 'Mac' McKennon, Officer Commanding 335th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, Spring 1944.nnMajor McKennon is credited with 12 kills and flew:nnTwo B's; 42-106911/WD-A (named 'Yippi Joe'), and 43-6896/WD-A (unnamed). Four D's; 44-14221/WD-A (named 'Ride Runner II), 44-14570/WD-A (named 'Ridge Runner'), 44-63166/WD-A (unnamed), and 44-72308/WD-A (named 'Ridge Runner III').nnThe photo pictured is of Ridge Runner, with crosses indicating he had not yet scored his last aerial kill. I believe the number of crosses on your photo is an incorrect restoration for the Ridge Runner. I think the Ridge Runner could only have borne 8 or 9 crosses, not the eleven shown. Too bad owners don't do their research better.nnMajor McKennon was a talented pianist and music student from the University of Arkansas. He initially showed little aptitude for flying, being washed out of USAAF training. Undeterred, he joined the RCAF and eventually reached a Spitfire squadron based in Britain, before finally transferring the USAAF in November 1942. He was shot down twice, avoided capture the first time and was smuggled out by the French Resistance. His second period in enemy territory was much more brief, since one of his pilots landed and flew his squadron commander back to Debden on his lap! McKennon amassed 11 aerial victories, seven of them in the P51, with a further 9.68 strafing kills.nnHis final Mustang (44-72308 Ridge Runner III) carried an Arkansas razorback on the nose (forward of the cockpit), rushing past two parachutes (his number of times shot down). It had a black-edged white rudder indicated the 335 FS. It had the red nose color sweeping back and down across the number three exhaust, and two rows of ten crosses directly below the port exhaust stack. Evidently, near the end of the war, they painted both the aerial and the strafing kills enmasse.

View attachment 282293

Not sure about that... You can see on the picture below (WD A in the background) that the first 2 numbers of the serial are 46 not 41...

44-14221 P-51D WD-I 335FS Capt. Robert J Mabie
44-63166 P-51D WD-A 335FS Maj. Pierce W "Mac" McKennon Ridge Runner II Lost in this a/c 18 March 45 - Returned.

8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

So,

Ridgerunner
II, 44-63166 was a block 20 P-51D built in Inglewood, California.
III, 44-72308 was a block 20 P-51D built in Inglewood California.

The lower serial numbered a/c in question were block 10 aircraft. ie 14570, 14221. Probably didn't initially have the K14 "no missum" reflecting gunsight either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back