6.3 Quake rocks New Zealand

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
30,525
26,856
Joined
Aug 29, 2008
Location
Redding, California
Website
www.netallurgy.com
This just happened, I'm hoping all you guys down there are safe

Quake rattles New Zealand; no reports of damage
 
Yeah, not a biggie where I am.
There are a few reports of some minor damage, and no reports of death or injuries.
Biggest thing seems to be a giant eagle fell from the ceiling of Wellington Airport.
2025cfb8818a11e3859a127409421c84_8.jpg

We weren't even sure that it was an earthquake, here (about 200 km from the epicentre) it was a long, gentle shake.
 
Strewth!
 
I'm glad everybody is ok. I have to ask, is the eagle based on some ancient species or is it just big?
 
Just big.
It's actually to promote the movie "The Hobbit". There are actually two of them. You can just see the wing-tip of the other ne in the top left corner of the photo.
Up until recently there was a huge Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

I believe that they were modelled on the extinct NZ Haasts Eagle, which had a wingspan of 2-3 metres. So, we had big eagles, just not that big!
 
Good to know there's no serious damage or injuries. And stop feeding the eagles bacon !

They ate 'turkey' bacon!

Moa_and_eagle_at_Museum_of_New_Zealand_Te_Papa_Tongarewa-5May2009.jpg


BTW, that 'turkey' is a Moa - 3 metres tall!
 
Just imagine surviving the quake only to have one of those bigass eagles fall on you...

"What happened to Uncle Lou?"

"Well, he was killed by a bigass eagle"

"Uh...he WHAT?? Auntie, have you been nipping at the cooking sherrie again??"
 
:evil4:
 
Glad everyone's ok. :cool:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back