7-1/2 Hour WEP test on R-2800

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sal Monella

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2005
Redwood City
No doubt contributed to one of the the Thunderbolt's nicknames - "Indestructible"

p-47-66inch.jpg

You know, for years I heard of the story of a hellish torture test of an R-2800. The story had a mythical proportion to it. I mean, these guys would pour on the WEP for what, 5-10 minutes at a pop? I could see an engine surviving 1/2 hour of that torture but for about a 1/3 of a day straight?

Anyway, I came across it on the Spitfire Performance Testing site. There is a wealth of stuff on there but you have to dig for it. It isn't all linked on the first page.

Enjoy!

P Ws in the Jug often returned home with as many as 5 cylinders shot out. Can't do that in a liquid-cooled!

"Often" is not the word I would use. In a survey of 500 US aircraft in PTO (all single radial-engines) only 30% made it home after an engine hit. The study was in 44 iirc. Most of the strikes were mg. In ETO with more planes mounting 20mm/30mm then there's hardly any chance of surviving an engine hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back