909 Ride.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thebuilderofthings

Airman 1st Class
Sep 10, 2009
Kent, Washington
B-17Ride.jpg
. Several years ago when the 909 came up to Seattle to the Museum of Flight Joanne and I couldn't resist. Back then we didn't have a 'real' camera as you can tell so we made do with the 35 mil'. Joanne's father flies glider so she gets her wings from him while I got mine from my dad who was a flight engineer on American Airlines. All in all I've flown six flights in this while Joanne has five. It is tax deductible as this is a non-profit organization. The upper left shot is the glass nose view with the bombardier's seat and the norden bomb sight. Upper right is the co-pilot. Lower left is the right blister cheek view. Joanne knows the view outside better than I do so any Seattle folk out there could better spot this for me. Notice the 50. caliber to the far left. And then the shot in the lower right is of the two right hand engines is a sight and sound to witness. Inside the aircraft you have to literally yell into the persons ear to talk to them. All the rides were smooth on take off, landing and in flight. The only noticeable thing on landing was the noise the brakes made. Well I'm figuring out the paint system I''ll be using will be a two part epoxy for the B-17 build. I hope you enjoy these pics. I like the engines myself. Take care and best regards, Thebuilderofthings.

I rode "909" back in 1994.

It was a horrible day to go flying, with typical Southern Cal early morning low clouds and drizzle. But it did add a bit of authenticity to the ride, just like what the 8th AF had to go through.

It's great to just be aboard a warbird, let alone one with a history. I had the opportunity to tour the Nine-0-Nine (static) during it's recent visit here in Redding.

While I've never been up in 909 or Aluminum Overcast, I did ride aboard a privately owned "F" a number of times, about 30 years ago.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back