My B24 ride

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very cool I am jealous that you got to fly in them. I saw those aircraft when they came to North Carolina in 1995. Did not get to fly in them though. Was still amazing to see them. I posted the pics of them somewhere here also.

Longview is right outside dallas, where i'm from. I didn't know such hi-quality beer was so close... :)

By the way great shots, i've always wondered if they let you in the gunner turrets? Not that i'd fit but i think it would be the coolest thing ever.

Great story!!! I got lucky one day and we had a B-17 at Lunken Airport giving rides. Usually the day before they start doing paid rides they do some PR work for the newspapers and TV news. My boss had always told me that he would get a free ride whenever he wanted but he hated flying so he always turned them down. Long story short. I got to go on a free ride. It's been my only ride in a World War 2 aircraft and one that I will never forget.

On the B17, the tail and belly turret are off limits. On the B24, the belly and nose turret is off limits.

on the BBMF lanc you can go in any of the numerous :)wink:) turrets if you have authirisation to be on the plane, however with FM213, Canada's lanc, although the turrets have modern perspex with is much safer than than it was when people were flying in there in combat, the authorities in all their wisdom have proclaimed the top and rear turrets strickly forbidden in flight, this's the closest you can get............

Attachments

• rear_turret_155.jpg
    rear_turret_155.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 380
I dont understand the tail and top turrets. I can understand the belly turret though. That would suck to get stuck in that and just no need for it to happen now adays.

they bolted seats to the top of the bomb bay in FM213, they had to check the structure of the bomb bay that could take 14,000lbs to see if it could take the weight of a man!

Well, as you love to continuously point out, it's civilian owned. It's therefore subject to civilian aviation regulations, and being a flying antique and only one of two in the world, they often tend to treat it like it's made of glass. I really can't say I blame them.
Where the RAF owns the BBMF Lancaster, they can pretty much do what they please with it, from what I understand. The museum folks in Hamilton don't have quite as much leeway. They're covering their asses. Especially if passengers are to be carried.

Whichever turret you could grab yourself a seat in though... imagine how sweet that would be! Anyone know how tall a person a turret could accomodate?

I think I could have sat in the B24 top turret, but I didnt because in the preflight briefing we were told that the only thing you will see is sky, which gets boring.

The B24 nose turret was off limits because the turret had some fragile parts to it. (even though it was nearly identicle to the rear turret which you could get in.)

I cant remember why the B17 tail and upper turrets were off limits. It could be that if they hit some turbulence, you could easily bang your head against the guns and get hurt.

syscom3 said:
Pics of the B17 in formation with us

skycom,

For the last 15 years that the Collings planes have been in my area , frequently after the B17 lands and passengers debark, I ask them how they enjoyed the 1/2 hour ride, I've yet to find one person that said that lt wasn't worth the cost.

book1182 said:
Great story!!! I got lucky one day and we had a B-17 at Lunken Airport giving rides. Usually the day before they start doing paid rides they do some PR work for the newspapers and TV news. My boss had always told me that he would get a free ride whenever he wanted but he hated flying so he always turned them down. Long story short. I got to go on a free ride. It's been my only ride in a World War 2 aircraft and one that I will never forget.

The plane pictured is a B17C or D, it was never used in combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back