A Coal Fueled German Jet?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool Video! I made a model of the jet years ago when I was going through a Luftwaffe 46' faze, but I didn't realize it had ever flown.

It didn't. The footage is of a model glider.

Later in the 1940s the US realised the concept delta and massive tail concept didn't work very well. It eventually turned into the XF-92, which still wasn't particularly impressive.

It didn't. The footage is of a model glider.

Later in the 1940s the US realised the concept delta and massive tail concept didn't work very well. It eventually turned into the XF-92, which still wasn't particularly impressive.

43 seconds in to the clip in this link you can see the aircraft flying has the open ramjet nose of the P13a and it does not have the faired over nose of the DM-1 research glider:

Nazi Wonder Weapon: Lippisch P13a Footage Video

More importantly there was sa successor the P13b whose career was classified top secret from December 1944 and remains top secret even today. We know from the fall of communism and declassification of polish records about the P13b that it reached speeds in excess of mach 2 at altitudes of 18,000ft.

43 seconds in to the clip in this link you can see the aircraft flying has the open ramjet nose of the P13a and it does not have the faired over nose of the DM-1 research glider:

On the other hand, it doesn't have a canopy for the pilot to see out of either whilst he's coming in to land on the side of a hill.

More importantly there was sa successor the P13b whose career was classified top secret from December 1944 and remains top secret even today. We know from the fall of communism and declassification of polish records about the P13b that it reached speeds in excess of mach 2 at altitudes of 18,000ft.

If it's so secret how do we "know" that? Its anti-history, written by Nazi lovers.

"red admiral.....On the other hand, it doesn't have a canopy for the pilot to see out of either whilst he's coming in to land on the side of a hill."

neither did the Spirit of St. Louis and although we see the terrain in the film we dont see the actual airstrip.

oh my god, oh my god, tell me when will this happen to end ever?

There is history and fiction, this topic belongs to the latter one.

No...i just said you dont have to have a cockpit to be able to land an aircraft and regardless of whether that P13 was powered or not , it was being brought in by a pilot. radio control was there but not that advanced in that day. dont know if this is fact or fiction...can really careless. think if there is the technology for a coal jet fuel it could translate into diesel because they are very simular...and with the current energy situation...might be worth a look. just because its on the internet, tv, radio, or in a magazine doesnt make it true...i do have an open mind and consider the possibility of such things. people will believe or disbelieve anything and everything. i have known some of the most intelligent people whose views or ideology defy all logic. there is a large faction of people who are convinced we never really set foot on the moon, it was a hollywood haox....believe elvis and jfk are still alive. but i am releaved that i can fly again without the fear of a shark attack. and just to keep the debate lively...

The Lippisch P.13

I have read that the Germans were working on a gas turbine that would burn coal dust.

Not too far fetched for stationary powerplants if you can get past the coal ash eroding the turbine blades. :lol:

as an aircraft powerplant it is right up there with nuclear reactors.

see the problem with fly ash was what i wanted to see how they got around. the engine in this particular incidence was a straight forward ramjet with no turbines....would have been interesting if this really did take place to see what the exhaust gases consisted of. plus supposedly the "fuel" was enhanced with parafin...which is also present in diesel fuels.

A problem with trying to use coal dust as a fuel is getting it to flow and meter. While it may be possible to do this in a stationary engine running at a constant speed, I would think it would be a lot harder in an airplane subject to "G" forces in several directions and with varying throttle (flow) rates. suspending the dust in a liquid doesn't seem to offer much of a solution as it may lead to clumping and cause problems when trying to get the dust to separate in the burners.

Last edited:
On the other hand, it doesn't have a canopy for the pilot to see out of either whilst he's coming in to land on the side of a hill.

lippisch_p-13a_engine_sketch.jpg

I just love people with opinions about things they've never reserched. Through the window dear Admiral.

Fwd. view in the intended LP13a was quite ok, sideways it was obscured by the delta´s. Don´t forget that delta wings like the design made by Dr. Lippisch required a very steep angle of attack approach. In this condition, You cannot see anything substantial in the LP-13a layout. The primary reason why the next design made by Alexander Lippisch had a pilot in ventral position at the airplane´s nose (following empirical experiences with the Me-163). Red Admiral´s position is therefore entirely justified.

I just love people with opinions about things they've never reserched. Through the window dear Admiral.

You'll have to show me the window on that footage.

Your position is that this aircraft was built and flown, and a later super duper secret version was also flown to high supersonic speeds. Producing a picture of an aircraft section is not proof. Just like footage of mega sharks attacking 747s is not proof of mega sharks.

The DM-1, originally known as the D-33 actually did fly at the Spitzerberg near Vienna in May 1944. The P13b was built by aviation students from Darmstadt and Munchen hence the earlier DM-1 designation. The P13b was flown from Prien airfield.

Professor Theodore von Karman was involved with ALSOS through an association of General Electric Corporation with US Army Ordinance aka ORDCIT, the US missile research project. Prof Karman directed an ALSOS team directly to Dr. Alexander Lippisch's location.

That ALSOS team was led by none other than OSS Colonel Charles Lindbergh and anybody who wishes to doubt the veracity of flights by the P13b may wish to consult "The wartime Journals of Charles A Lindbergh (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1970 pp 973)

The P13a used 103 kilograms of lignite coal dust drenched with paraffin and the craft was launched piggyback by an aircraft.

Isn't there a 50's/60's detailed long article upon the coal foam, including history, development proposed usages etc, somewhere in the massive depths of the engine archive?- I think it was related to the Skoda Ramjet project - certainly irember Skoda being part of the files name, but it is applicable to this as it shares the same coalfoam fuel bricks if i remember correctly (I no longer have a copy of it my own engines pdf library on my eternal hdd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back