A complete hook up

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
Why do Navy Planes Have Tailhooks?
Unbelievably, people don't realize that after a tough day of flying on and off of an aircraft carrier the planes are always washed, and then they use the hooks to hang the planes over the side to drip dry.

hook up.jpg

Great picture which poses two questions (at least).
1) How on earth did the crew get back on the ship, assuming they were on board when the aircraft went over the side?
2) How did they get the airplane back on board without breaking it even more?
Answers on a post card, and 'with a great deal of difficulty' doesn't count :)
Cheers
Steve

I have never been able to find out what happened in this case. The BuNo and unit are clearly visible, and it is easy to find the date of the incident, that it was on the USS Lexington, and that the pilot was unharmed. But beyond that not much. I first saw that picture sometime in the 70's, and have heard numerous stories of what happened, but none that I can find documented.

T!

Great pic for a caption competition !
I remember seeing the same pic in a magazine article about the type, some years ago (might even still have the mag somewhere!), but can't remember the reason given, or the final outcome, if indeed it was stated.
Maybe what we can't see is a bl**dy big hook, attached to the pitot probe, when they used the aircraft as a giant 'game fishing' rod !

It wasn't very difficult to dry the plane, but was very difficult to properly iron it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back