A couple of interesting books for modellers. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I picked up this pair at a hugely discounted price, through 'The Works', a UK-based high street discount bookshop/art craft store .(They also have a web-site showing their products, and orders can be placed on-line).
The first book, in soft cover, landscape format, is more a portfolio of the author's work, but I bought it mainly for the basic information on the stages required for using photo-editing programmes such as 'Photoshop'. Although, having been in the photo trade and trained in professional photography, I don't really need to refer to the section covering actual photography, this would be of great benefit to those who have little photographic knowledge or experience and, with today's digital cameras, and this book, it should be possible to create some great images, using ones' own models.
The author does, however, assume that readers have at least a basic knowledge of systems such as 'Photoshop' - that's me stuffed then!

The second book I got as a result of Jan's mention of the Airfix 'Fifty Years' title, and again, this was obtained at a huge discount - 75% off the original £20 cover price.
Don't let the title fool you - this is much more than a nostalgic look at the kits from our childhood, being more a 'potted history' of Airfix, covering the fortunes, and misfortunes, of this well known and hugely popular manufacturer.
Well illustrated throughout, not only is the 'birth' of the company described (same year as me!), but also the development of the model kit industry, and plastics in general, as well as the changes of ownership over the years, and the reasons behind these.
Although slightly disjointed in its writing style, the book holds a wealth of information, not only about Airfix and its model kits division, but also the company, and its overseas competitors, the development and growth of the industry, and hobby, and a good insight into the research, development and release of a particular kit. Some very interesting information is presented on the technical aspects, and costs(!) of producing a kit, and the book also contains, in its appendices, a year by year listing of the kits produced and released, including modifications to existing mould tools, and new tooled kits.( up to 2009)
Although I doubt I would have bought this book at its original cover price (might have borrowed it from the library), at a 75% discount, for a hard-backed book of this nature, it was well worth it, and fully recomended.

Attachments

• Buys 200.jpg
    Buys 200.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 292
  • Buys 201.jpg
    Buys 201.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 269
Good stuff Terry. It's been in the back of my mind for a while now to try photoshopping pics of my models into some scenery shots but have not yet taken the time to do this. I went so far as to take some shots of meadows from different angles with a view to plopping a 1/48 Spit into it so I'm part way there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back