A Few Interesting Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alright then, but only since you insist! Man, Les Whittlesy's Electra has a real spit polish on it! Would take a lot of hard shining to get it to look like that.

Some Teutonic lightness.

A lovely Bu 131 at Breighton in Yorkshire.

Bu131001s_zpsa70c5c81.jpg

Bu131002s_zpsb5034184.jpg

These two at North Weald:

Bu131003s_zpsa6d88abf.jpg

Bu131004s_zps46a61471.jpg

A Bu 133 at Duxford:

Bu133001s_zps665c6ece.jpg

Arado Ar 79 at DX:

Ar79001s_zpsd1898634.jpg

Ar79002s_zps5827805c.jpg

Ar79003s_zpsa81db91b.jpg

A Bf 108 also at DX at the same time:

Bf108iiii_zpsf8db25ba.jpg

Bf108i_zps1463128d.jpg

Bf108iis_zps949eb683.jpg

The last word in 'light' aviation; also at DX in the IWM hangars, a Fa 330 Bachstelze:

Fa330s_zps61026cee.jpg

Greg,
Nice shots, I too like the Electra, very COOL! Will the Hispano fly again with a Rolls or a DB engine? Any idea of a timeline of when it will get airborne again?
Cheers,
Biff

Absolutely great shots nuuumannn! Love the Arado!

The Hispano will be fitted with a Merlin and will fly again. They want it to look like a Bf 109 so instead of the real-life 4-bladed prop of Buchon, it will be fitted with a 3-blade unit to look more like a Messerschmitt. It is entirely the call of the museum and I suspect the call in this case is from our founder Ed Maloney, but do not know for sure. We would LOVE to fit it with a DB and we actually own one. It is in a Bf 109G-6 in our Arozona facility. But we do not fly anything we don't have at least 2 engines for since if it breaks, you must be able to fix it an fly it home.

1) Since we're talking about the Buchon, here is the starboard gun bay, open, BEFORE RESTORATION.
Me109_Starboard_Gun_Bay.jpg

2) Here is an open shot of the outer fuel tanks, which we removed. This will be an airshow aircraft and does NOT need long legs. But the Spanish DID manage to get decent range out it. Wonder why the Germans never did on the original Bf 109?
Me109_Outer_Fuel_Tanks.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent Greg, really interesting to see these.

I'm just going through some images I already have on the computer to find what might be of interest. here is some de Havilland heritage. DH.88 Comet Grosvenor House at Shuttleworth:

DH88Front_zpsb826feaf.jpg

Historic Salisbury Hall, where the prototype Mosquito was designed, and built not far from this building:

SalisburyHall_zpsff59814a.jpg

The Mosquito prototype at what used to be called the Mosquito Aviation Museum, next to Salisbury Hall:

W4050_zps386d793f.jpg

Its cockpit:

W4050Cockpit_zps3df4697c.jpg

A Mosquito B.35 on site at the museum. The B.35 was the last bomber variant of the Mossie, so the museum has the first and the last. It also has an FB.VI under construction:

TA634_zps77a0339c.jpg

Awesome pictures Guys thanks for posting! Greg do you happen to have any close ups of the gun setup on the p39? Always found that plane so interesting since its relatively ignored.

Love this thread Greg!:thumbright: I have a question. The cannon in the P-39, is it my imagination, or is it equipped with a 37mm. The shells look a lot larger that the 20mm that they normally came equipped with. I do remember reading that that first P-39s were equipped with the 37mm but it was discontinued due to the flash blinding the pilots.

Do not have any P-39 gun shots. Our P-39 is more or less static and has corrosion on the spar caps and spar, so there are no plans to resotore it as yet. As a consequence, nobody has looked insude in a LONG time.

I'll see what pics I can get. Many DID have a 37 mm cannon and somne had 20 mm cannons. Some were retrofitted in the fielkd with other armament.

Also, many people fail to remember that beloew about 16,000 to 18,000 feet, the PO-39 was a very decent fighter. If you ran into it at low level and had a fight of it, the outcome was NOT an easy prediction.

Glad you like some of the pics and I really like some of the pics that nuuumannn posted.

Thatks! Anyone have any more? If so, please feel free to share them. Pics the "off-the-wall" shots that we don't see all that much!

I wondered where this thread went and now I see. I'll keep that in mind. I surmise this isn't material for the "Aviation" forum and will cease posting it since that's the forum I read.

Last edited:
A few more to squaeeze a bit more from this thread: A few surviving airworthy Avro Ansons:

These are both taken at RAF Leuchars of Anson T.2 WD413:

WD413i.jpg

WD413ii.jpg

Taken at Shuttleworth of Avro XIX G-AHKX:

AvroXIXground.jpg

AvroXIXtaxi.jpg

AvroXIXinflight.jpg

Anson I MH120, firstly as VH-BAF at Wangaratta, Australia and then in Nelson, New Zealand:

VH-BAF001s.jpg

VH-BAF002s.jpg

Ansonoldhangariiii.jpg

Ansonoldhangarii.jpg

Ansonoldhangar1.jpg

From the cockpit of a Dash 8:

Ansonhangariiiii.jpg

Ansonhangariiii.jpg

Ansonhangarii.jpg

On the day of its first post restoration flight, 18 July 2012:

18072012003s.jpg

18072012001s.jpg

18072012008s.jpg

Last edited:
That one with Roscoe Turner and Boeing on it...a movie stand in for a 247?

Yep, about the 1934 England to Australia air race. A reproduction Comet was built for the film. The Anson's owner has the fabric with the Warner Bros Comet logo on his hangar wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back