A few kits which are rarer than they should be

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Schweik

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Hi guys, new to the forum and enjoying it. I have also fairly recently renewed my interest in modeling and have put together a small fleet of 1/72 model airplanes with an emphasis on fighters and 'light' bombers from the crucial early to mid-war period. Say June 1940 - June 1943, but I'm especially interested in they key turning point of 1942.

Most model airplanes seem to be based on the later war years but to me, by then, the war is almost a foregone conclusion.

We have a very good local model store where I lived, and of course you can find almost anything online, but I noticed to my frustration a few key aircraft types are a little too rare for my liking. So I thought I'd vent about it here a bit. Most of these types can be found but are often either online available from foreign countries*, or short run kits or both, and tend to be either expensive or made in somewhat shabby kits. Or both.

I am hoping that I can attract a little more attention to these types, I'm also interested to know what are the best kits available for them.

d3a-7a-jpg.jpg

Aichi D3A "Val"
Somewhat amazingly, this crucial aircraft which was the hammer of the IJN carrier fleets and sunk more ships than any other (I think?) is hard to find as a model. I could only find some rather old or very expensive / foreign kits. This is doubly a pity because it's quite a beautiful design with lovely eliptical wings and so on. So it's interesting from a design perspective as well as important historically and known to be quite effective in spite of it's flaws. I'd love to hear what kits are available and see images of any nice ones you may have built, and I want to hear from model companies that they are going to make some new kits of this .

811e5843-9e50-4c2f-9618-6e19f3644d61-jpg.jpg

Bf 109F
Another key Axis aircraft in my mind, and I believe the most beloved by German pilots and clearly the best dogfighting variant of the famous Messerschmitt 109 series, the Bf 109F played a crucial role in 1941 through 1943 in North Africa and on the Russian Front. And yet it's very hard to find a kit! I found an F2 kit made by Zvezda, though it's a little odd when buying Luftwaffe kits from Eastern Europe because certain decals are omitted so you have to buy some aftermarket decals which can get expensive. There is a kit around for Hans Joachim Marseille but I'd really like to see some other kits for both 109F-2, and 109F-4

Bf 109G-2
Another crucial Luftwaffe mainstay, the G-2 may not have had the boost of the later G-6, but it was a very good dogfighter, loved by pilots and deadly to their opponents. But it's hard to find as a model. Same, incidentally for the G-4 which also shows up a lot in the combat reports in Mediterranean Air War and Black Star / Red Cross. Seems like most Bf 109 kits are for either the 109E or the G-6 and later. For some reason they just skip the mid-war years even though this was the most important period of the war!

Yak 1 and Yak 1B
Everyone knows this was the first home made Soviet fighter of the war that was able to start putting a dent in Luftwaffe ranks. The Yak 1 had a lot of production and build-quality problems in the early several months of production, but as issues were gradually worked out, and especially with the Yak-1B in October 1942, it became a truly world class fighter for it's particular (short range, tactical / low -altitude) niche. Even the early Yak though gave the Soviet pilots a fighting chance in the crucial and very, very difficult early years (or year and a half) of the war, and it's also a beautiful looking aircraft - yet, so hard to find models of this! The excellent Yak 3 is widely available, and you can find some Yak 9 kits (though not enough) but the Yak 1 is extremely rare. Why is that the case?

air_300a_002.jpg

Yak 7
Similar to the Yak 1 described above, the Yak 7 was initially an even better design, as lengthening the airframe and simplifying the design somewhat actually improved flying characteristics to everyone's amazement. So far as I know this is the only aircraft ever designed as a trainer that became a successful front line air-superiority fighter. If there are others I'd like to know! I did find an East European kit of this plane and it came out beautiful in Winter colors.

galachenkoallm2cr-jpg.jpg

LaGG-3
Ok not the best fighter, but neither was the MiG 3 and we see many kits of that. The LaGG-3 tends to get written off as the early models were overweight, badly underpowered and infamously plagued with build / manufacturing issues. This however was true for all newly designed Soviet fighters in the early war period, and eventually of course, the LaGG 3 led to the much hyped and popular La 5. However the LaGG-3 soldiered on, and it was one of the most widely used Soviet types through 1943. The later series aircraft had stronger engines, improved build quality and were actually pretty good (I know others may disagree) and many Soviet aces flew this type.

Pe-2
Another forgotten Soviet design which I think bears a second look. A bomber that goes 360 mph in 1941 is not something to be ignored! Especially one which can fight as a night fighter or a dive bomber! Yes the Pe-2 took heavy losses, but they happened to be up against some of the fastest fighters in the war. Imagine if the Japanese had had Pe 2's in the Pacific Theater in 1942, or if the RAF had them in the Med in the same year? Could have changed things (arguably). There is no arguing that it was a brilliant design, and I think this plane is comparable to a Ju 88, maybe better - and certainly better looking. But where is it in the model world? I did find a kit finally, and it came out very nice, but I'd like to see more options for this really neat plane. I'd also like to see more Tu-2 kits available.

tmc322005b-jpg.jpg

Reggiane 2005
The whole Reggiane series is interesting and somewhat underrated. With big beautiful elliptical wings and a lovely overall shape, the Reggiane 2000 series fighters were a small but militarily significant part of the Mediterranean campaign if not really crucial to the war effort, and perhaps more importantly, the Reggiane was just a beautiful and excellent design, albiet with some flaws. The Re 2005 - with all the beauty of the early models married to a monster German engine and multiple 20mm cannon, was considered by some to be the best Axis prop fighter of the war. Maybe you agree with this, and maybe you don't, but surely this lovely aircraft deserves to be represented by more modeling companies. The only kits I could find were from RS and I'd had trouble with those before (my skill is only gradually ramping up) so I'd really like to see some other companies make one or more of these - Airfix, Eduard, Hasegawa, are you listening?

640px-curtiss_p-40f_warhawk_41-19841_4_-285923305925-29-jpg.jpg

P-40F/L
The P-40 series is like the Bf 109 in that the early E version used in the very early days of the war is very hyped and widely available (also the B/C in the case of the P-40) and you see a fair number of the later war versions (N for the P-40) but the types most crucial in the mid-war period are strangely missing from Hobby shop shelves. The P-40F/L (nearly identical except for the number of wing guns) were the Merlin-Engined variants, identifiable by a lack of an airscoop on top of the engine and (except in the earliest models) by a lengthened fuselage. It may not be widely known that this model was the one which equipped most of the quite numerous USAAF Fighter Squadrons in the Med Theater (notably the 33rd, 57th, 79th, 315th and 325th FG as well as the 99FS of the Tuskegee Airmen), thanks to the Merlin it had a higher performance ceiling of 20K feet, and thanks Mediterranean Air War Volume III, we can now see that they did quite well against their Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica opponents. This alone should make this fighter popular in the American market! They also equipped two of the most elite Commonwealth squadrons (260 RAF and 3 RAAF) as the Kittyhawk II during crucial months of 1942 and 1943, and were flown by at least ten double aces. And yet I could only find an East European kit for this which I ordered online. Came out great but I'd really like to see more options especially for the Med Theater versions (it was also used in the Pacific).

P-40K
The other main late-war P-40 variant, the P-40K was mostly known for a large tail fin. It had an Allison Engine but one which at maximum boost could reach ~1,500 horsepower at the optimum altitude. It was very important for the CBI Theater, was widely used in the Med by both American and RAF / Commonwealth pilots, and was also an important type for the Russians, flown by no less than three HSU recipients and quadrouple-aces. And yet this type is even harder to find on Hobby shop shelves than the P-40F/L. Why!?

Thoughts are welcome of course. I'm a long time aviation enthusiast but still cutting my teeth on modern model-making techniques.

S

* I have nothing against buying models from foreign countries and I do not mean that as a pejorative, I love Airfix, some of the best kits I have found are Japanese or Czech made and I also really like some of the Zvezda kits I've acquired. I only mean that some foreign kits are rare in American hobby shops.

Attachments

• 1280px-LET_C-11.Yak-7_outline.Lakeland_FL_18.04.07R.jpg
    1280px-LET_C-11.Yak-7_outline.Lakeland_FL_18.04.07R.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
1/72? Most all of your list is available in 1/48, though a good portion is Japanese or Check or Zvezda. I have in my hand right now the Zvezda Pe2 and Bf109F in 1/48. Ertel does the P-40F and K in 1/48th (Have them). For the most part I shop on ebay and mail order using Scalehobbyist.com: Model airplanes, ships, military vehicles and modeling supplies . They are pretty good with some of the best prices around. American kits are mostly down to Revell now days. Airfix, Eduard, Tamiya and Hasigawa are some of the mainstays. I'll not argue that the prices are out of this world and in some cases you are getting old molds with modern prices, but you have to do some shopping. Finding old AM kits on ebay will cover some early war birds as well, Vindicator and Dauntless as well as B-25B (Doolittle raider). Though AM went out of business you can find new releases from Italeri. I as I stated don't work in 1/72 much as I just can't see them well but, some shopping around may find what your after.

Hey Donivanp, much appreciated reply there. yeah I know you can find all of these, I have found (and made) most of them so far. I would just like to see more widely available (and less expensive) models from some of the larger companies - and I think there would be a market for these, since they were all important planes.

I make 1/72 scale so far just so I can have a lot of aircraft in the same scale to look at side by side. Learn a lot that way that you don't get from photos (seeing a P-47 next to a Yak 3 is kind of amazing!). 1/72 are also a lot easier to fit on the shelves especially when you are making a lot of them. I am also doing this as kind of a work-up back toward legit modeling skills which I would not say I have as yet. I have some 1/32 scale kits waiting for the moment when i feel I have reached the point that making them would be worth the effort.

My eyesight isn't so great either but one nice thing about 1/72 scale the mistakes aren't as obvious!

S

No shortage of 109's in 1/48. In fact, we could do with a few LESS.

If I were to make a list, I would add a proper 1/48 Spitfire XIV.

Zvezda offers the Bf 109F-2 of the 1/72 scale ( a kit no. 7302 ) and Bilek offers the Bf 109F-2/trop ( Bil 908). AZ Model offers the Bf 109F and G series of the plane ( e.g. AZ7531 for F-4 and AZ7704 [3in1] for the G-2/4,6,14 variants)

As 1/72nd scale is still the dominant scale (although 1/48th is rapidly catching up), I wouldn't have thought there's be a shortage of 'common' types. I've often found a subject in 1/72nd scale when looking fore the same in 1/48th scale.

As 1/72nd scale is still the dominant scale (although 1/48th is rapidly catching up), I wouldn't have thought there's be a shortage of 'common' types. I've often found a subject in 1/72nd scale when looking fore the same in 1/48th scale.

I've noticed a lot of nice kits in 1/48 in the stores, somewhat to my surprise. It seems to have become much more popular in recent years.

I actually prefer the big ones, the 1/32, but larger kits are more challenging to me because there is so much more to do. And take up a lot more space. My plan has been to build out my 'fleet' of 1/72 kits (I'm about 3/4 of the way there already) so I have different shelves for different Theaters from the early-Mid war periods. Once I'm done with that (and in theory, my skills have improved a bit) I have a few 1/32 kits to build of my very favorites. Unfortunately I'd have to extend my skills into the scratch-build zone if I wanted to do P-40 F/L, D3A or Yak 7 at least so far as I've been able to find.

I think the issue is that what we have come to think of as "common" types has a few blind spots, like the D3A for example, so far I've only been able to find Japanese models and somewhat obscure companies (at least to me)

I have the Zvezda 109F2 in 1/72 though it's not a Trop which is a bit disappointing. I'll have to make a tropical air filter out of something. Zvezda are pretty good kits though so it should come out nice.

In general the Mediterranean Theater seems a bit neglected to me!

S

Airfix have had a 'Val' in their 1/72nd scale range since the mid 1960s, and it's recently been re-released. As far as I know, it's the same mouldings, so I don't know how it will stand up to 'todays' kits.
They also have a 1/72nd scale Bf109F-4 Trop.

That is news to me, good to know, I'll try to find them...!

Edit: I think i found the val, can you post a link to the 109F-4 Trop? i do see an E-4 but can't find an F in 1/72. The only ones I could find other than Zvezda was Italieri and Fine Molds.

A good place to check on kit availability is the Hannant's web site - they stock most kits from most manufacturers, although of course, not all of the less well-known ones.
Key in the scale and the type, for example, 1/72nd, Bf109 (or Messerchmitt 109, as their search system can sometimes be a bit different), and 'Aircraft, kits only', and it should show what they have for all sub-types of '109.
If you omit the 'kits only' part, then all items related to the '109 will be shown, as well as full kits.
Also, the 'Scalemates' web-site normally shows all kits, with their original release date, up-dates and current availability, along with reviews if available.

Edit: I think i found the val, can you post a link to the 109F-4 Trop? i do see an E-4 but can't find an F in 1/72. The only ones I could find other than Zvezda was Italieri and Fine Molds.
Airfix does not have a F in 1:72. It's a 1:48 model, old molds, not very bad.
afx109fbt.jpg

There was a repack by Heller - haven't seen it "live".
957087-27767-47-pristine.jpg

HELLER manufactured a F-model 1:72 though (not very good one) - AFAIK it wasn't issued under the Airfix logo at all.
200_rd.jpg

Airfix makes 1:72 E (new molds, good) and G (old and new molds: old model is awful, new is kind of wrong, but not very bad).

A good place to check on kit availability is the Hannant's web site - they stock most kits from most manufacturers, although of course, not all of the less well-known ones.
Key in the scale and the type, for example, 1/72nd, Bf109 (or Messerchmitt 109, as their search system can sometimes be a bit different), and 'Aircraft, kits only', and it should show what they have for all sub-types of '109.
If you omit the 'kits only' part, then all items related to the '109 will be shown, as well as full kits.
Also, the 'Scalemates' web-site normally shows all kits, with their original release date, up-dates and current availability, along with reviews if available.

Thanks mate! Hannant is a good website hadn't known about that before.

I tried the search for "109f" in aircraft kits only and got only Amodel, Eduard (all 1/48 sadly), ICM, Zvezda and a company called AZmodel which I hadn't heard of. Mostly in 1/48. No Airfix.

But also a Trumpeter and a Hasegawa in 1/32 so that's cool!

P-40F only comes up with the Special Hobby kits I'd already known about but it does say Trumpeter has one as a future release in 1/32 so that is something to look forward to definitely. It's amazing to me that there are so few considering how many American, RAF and RAAF aces flew P-40F

Found a SMER kiit for P-40K is that a good company?

There were two D3A kits on there both in 1/48 from Hasegawa, one old kit and one 'future release'. Maybe the trend is moving toward my preferences and I just have to wait?

Re 2005 turned up two from RS and one from Sword which is pricey.

Airfix does not have a F in 1:72. It's a 1:48 model, old molds, not very bad..

I think Airframes meant the Heller models for the Bf 109F/Trop. Another model that can be suggested is the Czech kit of the Bf 109F trop offered by Bilek..

878_rd.jpg

The Italeri also offers a kit for the F-2/4 variant. As memo the kit should contain parts for the trop variant too.

h109f-2_4.jpg

However I would recommend the Fine Molds series of kits for the F version of the Messerschmitt.

FMbf109F-2.jpg

FM Bf109F-4.jpg

bf109F trop.jpg

Additionally they offer the K-4 variant and a nice series of the Gustavs kites.

FMBf109K-4.jpg

FMBf109K-4_.jpg

and the G series...

FM Bf109G-2.jpg

FMBf109G-4.jpg

FMBf109G-6.jpg

FM Bf109G-10.jpg

Are SMER kits any good?

Generally not too bad but like other quite old models require some of work. For instance the Curtiss P-40K is actually the Kovozávody kit issued in 1993. The same kit you may find reboxed by the German Revell and recently by the Mistercraft, a Polish firm.

P-40K.jpg

P-40K_1.jpg

P-40K_2.jpg

Regarding the Aichi D3A Val.. the Fujimi offred the bomber of 1/72 scale. But not sure if these are still offered because these are quite old kits.

val1.jpg

val2.jpg

Their cheaper copies are reboxed by the Polish ZTS Plastyk firm .. but I wouldn't recommend them. Unless you are very skilled assembler.

val7.jpg

val6.jpg

The aternative models can be the Dragon Cyber Hobby kits but not sure if it is worth to look for them all around the world if the Airfix kit seems to be really nice.

val3.jpg

val4.jpg

val5.jpg

The Yak-1/Yak-1B .. the oldest kits of the plane in 1/72 scale I can remind myself are the Polish Micro72 and the ZTS Plastyk kits. These are still trading but the age of sprues can be noticed though. A couple of years ago the model was reboxed by the Mistercraft another Polish firm and is offered as a couple kits with different decals. Both the ZTS and Mistercraft kits allows to make either the Yak1 ot Yak-1M (B) version. The difference is the cockpit canopy either the booble top or moulded with the fuselage rear top. Unfortunately these kits need a lot of work if you want to get the decent final effect.

yak1ZTS.jpg

yak1ZTS_.jpg

MS1.jpg

MS2.jpg

Another firm offered Yak-1 is the AModel. The kits of the firm are of the short-run type and really need a lot of work.

AM_1.jpg

AM_2.jpg

AM_3.jpg

IMHO the best replics of the early Yak-1 plane are offrered by the Bergun firm...

Bergun1.jpg

Bergun2.jpg

Bergun_4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back