A Japanese Purchased a Zero in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glad this thread got reopened. The picture of those 3 Zeros was awesome. Before I moved back from California, I made it to the "Planes of Fame" (1986). I saw some warbirds flying. Saw great aircraft I had only read about. What I really remember though, is standing in front of an actual Zero. Maybe the engine wasn't original but I didn't know. An actual Zero. Wow.

It is very difficult to dismantle a Zero. The wing is one piece and the fuselage will not hold together with the wing off, unlike an F4F or P-51 or other US fighters, or for that matter, my Ercoupe.
HampDesignAnal-2.jpg
P-51Assembly-1.jpg

Wildcat-Midway.jpg

It is very difficult to dismantle a Zero. The wing is one piece and the fuselage will not hold together with the wing off, unlike an F4F or P-51 or other US fighters, or for that matter, my Ercoupe.View attachment 590329View attachment 590330
View attachment 590331
That's what I was wondering about. I've read about the construction of the Zero on some aviation site ;). I would think, stressed for 6G's or not, an irreplaceable Zero is not something you'd want take apart and reassemble. Yet it must have been difficult to ship unless you had a Jeep carrier laying around.

I know that one time it was lifted onto the deck of a ship in one piece, and then temporary "hanger" was the built around it. I have also read that once it was disassembled and shipped in containers.

Any complete aircraft restoration requires complete or nearly complete disassembly and then reassembly, regardless of the type

I have seen pictures of the intact Zero onboard the ship, but I don't know if they are available online. A quick search online doesn't seem to show any. I may have seen them at the museum...

It is very difficult to dismantle a Zero.

Well, depends on how you do it. No, the wing is not designed to be removed from the centre section, but the whole rear fuselage separates aft of the cockpit, which was a feature purposely designed for ease of maintenance and shipping. The wing tips also fold upwards to reduce the length of the centre section and wing. Removing the engine is not a difficult task and that nose cowl comes off in large easy sections. So, in many respects its actually a lot easier to dismantle a Zero for shipping than most aircraft of the period.

You can see the split as the vertical line running from in front of the lower step to the aft portion of the rear canopy.

50179849146_5ee229ae93_b.jpg
Detail fuselage centre section

The IWM Zero centre section with its rear fuselage missing, note that the spar has been cut.

50179312338_6f7e790ab6_b.jpg
IWM Zero centre section

The POF Zero has made 3 trips to Japan since is was restored to flying status in 1979.

In 2012/2013 it was placed in the Tokorozawa Aviation Museum in the north of Tokyo for an exhibition on the type. Tokorozawa is notable as it was the first purpose built military airfield in Japan and the site of the airfield is now a public park with an aviation museum. An aircraft manufacturing plant and airship shed were built at Tokorozawa, so it has considerable significance in Japanese aviation history. In the museum is a reproduction of the first indigenous Japanese aircraft, a modified Farman biplane.

It's such a shame Mitsubishi took such a hit with the Space Jet.
A nice looking aircraft.
Thanks for starting this thread Shinpachi!!
Thanks Bill for your interest.

"The M90 (the MRJ90 renamed) should seat 86 to 96, while the smaller MRJ70 was to accommodate 70 to 80 passengers. The MRJ70 was replaced by the SpaceJet M100, stretched by 1.1 m (3 ft 7 in) to better meet US scope clauses at 76 seats with premium seating. It is comparable with the Embraer E-Jet E2. (Source: Wiki)"

Living outside the US, Mitsubishi relied on the US market too much.
Would be a good experience for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back