I'm so sorry for my poor wording.
Let me try again. Let's skip the PVO-PRO claims to simplify the picture.
Ukrainian aircraft is shot down when the pilot has no idea about his actual position.
Afterwards, he hardly remembered the time and altitude and couldn't identify the weapon used against him. The Ukrainian report is based on guesses, - just because it was required to put some numbers in.
There is a claim from the Russian pilot. Compared to the Ukrainian report, time, altitudes, and coordinates are off by a certain measure.
Can we say with confidence, that the Russian claim is 100% wrong just because the Ukrainian report has different details?
If I have no idea about the circumstances and I believe that every Ukrainian report contains true figures, I'm tempted to say - yes, the claim is wrong.
If I happen to interview the surviving Ukrainian pilot and I understand that the reporting system is not perfect, I will have to think again.
Now, I bring the modern war in only due to the coincidence, as said. However, one can find similar real incidents in WWII history. Loss of orientation, stress, errors, shock, loss of conscience and memory - on the side of the pilot.
Bureaucratic requirements, human and technical errors, self-interests, corruption (in various forms) - in the office on the ground.
And once again, don't take it as a critique of your book or the research related to Hungary. After all, the topic is much broader.