A Matter of Perspective

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Binjo

Airman
Jan 18, 2009
Eugene OR
My dad and I took a trip up to the Evergreen Air Museum this past weekend and something struck me. I never realized how small the Bf-109 really was compared to the vast majority of Allied aircraft.

It's rather difficult to compare aircraft size when the dissimilar airframes are generally in your crosshairs. It also dawned on me that IL-2 rarely puts different airframes close to each other, so I thought I'd see how well the game models dimensions. So I slapped down the planes in the same arrangement as in the museum...it all looked about right.

I think the 2nd image really shows just how short the 109 is compared to the American birds. The spitfire is remarkably similar in dimension until you look at both from above...that elliptical wing on the Spit really makes the 109 look like it's gliding on little chicken wings.

Of course, next to the Spruce Goose...everything there seemed a bit tiny.

Hmph, pics were in the wrong format...argh

Attachments

• grab0001.jpg
    grab0001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 90
  • grab0003.jpg
    grab0003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 79
  • grab0004.jpg
    grab0004.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 74
The Bf109 was definately smaller than many other aircraft.The thing that always struck me as odd, was the Fw190's elevators in relation to the rest of it's control surfaces, though it seemed to work well enough like that.

If you want to see a real size difference, park a Bf109E next to a Jug...lol

And yeah, the Spruce Goose was a real man-beast. I saw it ages ago in Long Beach and "wow" is all that comes to mind.

well it is small in comparison to other fighters, but then again it had the advantage of being small. maybe thats another reason that the me109 a fearce fighter was.

Yeah small and fast, i think the size and the amount there made in made them this good also. To bad it was a german fighter (cough cough) cus it sure kicked ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back