A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

New one arrived from Australia

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_151641.jpg
    IMG_20200907_151641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
I do have the original edition. I have not cracked the new one yet, but when I do I will give my biased opinion. :lol:
<sigh> I see that this book has 56 additional pages compared to the 2010 version. Do you happen to have the 2010 version? I'm trying to figure out if I NEEEEEED to buy this book again. I am wondering if it is 56 pages of good stuff, or 2 pages of good stuff and 54 pages of filler. I don't know why I bother, I'm sure i will get it at some point. I seem to have quite a few original and expanded editions from Yefim Gordon. I guess that proves that I am a sucker for "New Expanded Editions" too.

OK, I finally got around to this book and I have to say unequivocally that I like it better than the original. I think the layout is better and so is the picture count. Obviously given the two I would choose this one, but as an addition to the first...I would say yes. The only criticism I can offer, and it may not be the books fault, is that I wish there was more on the VVA14.

This is my last grab.
IMG_20200910_215244.jpg

But instead of joyfull, is a bitter one.

Four and a half months ago I tried to take advantage of the 20% off and free delivery in Europe offer from Osprey Publishing in their website and ordered some 9 tittles of both Aircraft of the Aces and Combat Aircraft series.

It was in the middle of the lockdown both in UK and in Spain, so I expect delays over the 2-3 weeks arrival estimate. By late June the package hasn´t arrived so I contact Osprey and they tell me that they will reship the order.

So far, so good. We were (are) in the worst health pandemic of the last century, with a spike in online shopping. Packages can get lost (never to me in more than 20 years of online shopping, but ther is always a first time).

So they sent the order once again, but namely in two packages, one with the order minus Ju 88 Aces of WW2 and a couple of days after, the missing book. Little weird to me but ok.

The small package arrived in a timely fashion in two weeks. The big one didn´t show up. Wait for a little time and start talking to Osprey once again.

Agreed to wait some more time but some what suspicious to me.

BTW, they sent the package without any tracking info.

Mid August and no show of the order, so began bugging once more.

They agreed to sent the order once again. Three times now. Could you belive it? I was more than suspicious but yesterday mailman leave a notice in my mailbox that he wasn´t able to deliver a package for me from UK, so I must show in my local post office to get it.

Alas, at least the order!

Today went at first hour to retrieve my package and...

Surprise. They gave me a little package that can´t hold more than one book. You know, 8 AoA/CA books at 96 pages each make some bulky package.

Went to work pretty much upset (already late), daugther birthday today and finally open the package late at night.

Obviously only one book. Fw 200 Condor Units. One of the order. Still lacking other 7.

And to add insult to injury, a pretty bad edition. The aircraft profiles look bleak (the mobile phone has enhanced them, true is sadder), pages and photos bleak and grainy (phone camera also enhanced them).

Compare with Nate units of WW2 arrived March this year and Devastator Squadrons of USN (edited 20 years ago):

IMG_20200910_214343.jpgIMG_20200910_214401.jpgIMG_20200910_214438.jpgIMG_20200910_214641.jpgIMG_20200910_214453.jpgIMG_20200910_214948.jpgIMG_20200910_214920.jpg
IMG_20200910_214308.jpg

Only front and back covers seems to be of decent quality. Not able (or willing) to read the text. It´s Chris Goss, so it can be bad.

What do you think? The mailman get an extra income reselling Osprey books in Ebay or Osprey pretty much pranged me?

I have already made my guess.

OK, I finally got around to this book and I have to say unequivocally that I like it better than the original. I think the layout is better and so is the picture count. Obviously given the two I would choose this one, but as an addition to the first...I would say yes. The only criticism I can offer, and it may not be the books fault, is that I wish there was more on the VVA14.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the follow up. It is still on my list. I will pull the trigger eventually.

I have that Fw 200 book, and I guess not knowing any better I liked it. Surprised by the use of the Condor being so sparse in WWII that I wonder why Churchill even bothered to give it a cool nickname.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back