A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

71NiZoXJ5-L._SL1500_.jpg

It is probably the best book out there on the bird. It is interesting to do a comparison between the F-20, the JAS-39, the FA-50 and the T-7A - I will present this in the coming days.

Micdrow,

I got the top two when they first came out. Volume 1, the early chapters on the formation of Army Co-operation Command (ACC) and early years in the UK I was not particularly impressed with. I found too many errors and poorly or incorrectly captioned photos. He missed the significance of many of the photo subjects and in quite a few instances got them completely wrong.

As some examples, Mustang Mk.I aircraft of No.26 Squadron being captioned as being photographed during Exercise SPARTAN in early 1943, when in fact the photo shows Mustang Mk.I aircraft of that Squadron from early 1945 when they were involved in Naval Gunnery Spotting against German hold out ports along the French coast. Another being, the Typhoon on page 62 which is labelled as temporary markings for trials purposes, when in fact it was a temporary recognition marking applied to Typhoons for a short period not long after they were introduced into RAF service. And there were more.

On a listing of RAF Army Co-operation Command Squadrons in the UK 1939-1941 the author includes No.168 Squadron which was not formed until June 1942, along with No.171 Squadron which was also not formed until June 1942. Omission of squadron codes in Appendix for a number of the ACC Squadrons that did carry squadron codes on their aircraft at various times in the period the Appendix covers. This I found particularly annoying given his other previous works in the Combat Codes books where he did include them - inconsistency.

Also statement on page 63 about the ACC Tomahawks not being fitted with cameras "so recce was by eye, note and radio". Not so, ACC Tomahawks were fitted with both oblique and vertical reconnaissance cameras, that being the reason why many ACC Squadrons kept a couple of Tomahawks on strength after they got Mustangs to keep particularly the vertical camera capability available for use in exercises and training whilst the vertical camera installation was sorted for the Mustangs. Photo attached shows three Tomahawks of No.26 Squadron RAF over the UK in 1941 with the port in the fuselage side for the oblique camera lens clearly visible - arrowed on the rearmost of the three. There are a number of detail photos around showing the exact installation arrangement for the oblique camera installation in the RAF Tomahawks, even Airfix on the 1/48th Tomahawk kit got it right.

Attachments

• 26 Tomahawks Oblique.jpg
    26 Tomahawks Oblique.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back