A Ride on Witchcraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
A week and a half ago I had the experience of a life time taking a ride on the Collings Foundation's B-24J Witchcraft. My brother and I drove out to Kankakee IL through massive thunderstorms which fortunately cleared up just in time and it was a beautiful day. The B-17 Nine O Nine was also there along with The P-51C Betty Jane. We met Gary (Geedee) who was working on the B-24 as a crewcheif for a couple of weeks. He looked like he was having the time of his life flying around with these wonderful bombers.

First off are some exterior shots of Witchcraft
P1020291.JPG
P1010857.JPG
P1010933.JPG
P1010935.JPG
P1010975.JPG
P1010998.JPG
P1020001.JPG
P1020279.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff Glenn - looking forward to the rest of the pics. Gary is now speaking in WW2 American, and muttering things about cylinder head temps and spark plugs .....

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow morning.

Awesome Glenn, still haven't seen one of those flying.
Other that Diamond Lil, it's the only one left flying, and Diamond Lil isn't a true B-24, it's a C-87 transport with passenger seats that's had a bombers nose grafted on. (I sat on the floor of Witchcraft for take off and landing)

Way to go Glenn!!!:headbang: I think Gary is still suffering from withdrawls though.:lol:
I'm sure he is, I am, and I only went on the one flight:lol:

Way to go!
Glad you were able to make the trip to see them and great photos!
Dave, if you wouldn't have told me Gary was flying with them it would have been a he!! Of a surprise to bump into him!

There is Nothing like a ride in a plane built to last only a few missions.

What a rush? Where did you ride in the plane? Did you get to walk around during the flight? Huh, huh????

You had to strap down for takeoff and landing but other than that the only places out of bounds were the top and ball turrets (which I never could have fit in any way) and the cockpit, but you could be on the flight deck right behind the pilots. I started out buckled in on the floor with my back to the ball turret but there was too much weight in the rear (nose wheel popping up) so Gary had me and another guy go up forward and strap in on the floor behind the pilots (I'm good for nose weight anyway:lol:). Right after takeoff I headed down under the flight deck in the crawl space beside the nose gear and came out in the bombardier's position. What a view!! Norden bomb sight and everything. It looks like Witchcraft still has all the original military equipment. The back of the nose turret was open so I went in there for a wile, then made my way back under the flight deck and through the bomb bay to the waist where Gary and most of the other passengers were with the open waist windows. You could go back into the tail turret too, and it was cool seeing the fabric covered control surfaces move just inches from you on the other side of the turrets plexiglass. I'll tell you guys, it was a fantastic experience and I can sure understand if Gary is still walking around smiling after two weeks of it.

Here's the promised pictures. I didn't take many shots during the flight taking mostly video with my camera so a lot of these shots are stills from that video. The guy in the black shirt is my brother, also a member here (HD-Soft Tail) although he doesn't post.
Untitled14.jpg
P1010814.JPG
P1010819.JPG
P1010820.JPG
P1010821.JPG
P1010822.JPG
P1020252.JPG
P1020255.JPG
P1020258.JPG
P1020259.JPG
P1020260.JPG
P1020261.JPG
P1020263.JPG
P1020265.JPG
P1020266.JPG
P1020267.JPG
P1020269.JPG
P1020275.JPG
P1020305.JPG
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled5.jpg
Untitled6.jpg
Untitled7.jpg
Untitled8.jpg
Untitled9.jpg
Untitled10.jpg
Untitled11.jpg
Untitled12.jpg
Untitled13.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, you certainly had a great experience!

I see Gary is wearing his GoPro and having way too much fun! :lol:

I will say that I'm a little jealous, as I haven't had the chance to ride aboard the B-24 (ok, more than a little jealous) :D

Wow, excellent pictures and how lucky.
One thing i would like to know (a strange one). What did it smell like?
Is there an oily fuely smell to this old birds?

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back