A6m 1:1 Static Display

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mark O' Hara

Recruit
May 11, 2020
Greetings all!
I am honoured to be here, I have just joined and this is my first thread.
I'm originally from the UK but I now live in Asia, Bataan in the Philippines to be exact where I work as a boat builder, boat building instructor and a Lloyd's Qualified Surveyor.
The world of boat building has taught me many disciplines such as wood working, metal work and composites, and it has opened many new doors for me, the world of aviation is one of them.
It was only recently I was discussing the potential projects of an ekranoplan and a flying boat build with some Philippine nationals when the subject of WWII historical aircraft came up or the lack thereof.
Sure there were many left around after the the second world war on the many airfields between here and Clark but they have all been since removed or scrapped and the airfields returned to agriculture or development. Bataan is rich in WWII History and has many landmarks, I was asked if I could build a 1:1 WWII static display and put together a proposal for such.

With a life long deep seated interest in the Japanese Bushi-do culture and history, going back to feudal times, in my choice of aircraft there really was only one contender: the A6m Mitsubishi Zero. While all my friends and class mates were playing with their Hurricanes and Spitfires while I was growing up the A6m was the first kit model I have ever built and I have built many more since but nothing this ambitious.
The project would be good for local training and employment and the finished product would be good for education and tourism. As regards to the materials used and the detail of finish would totally depend on the budget and end-use, interior, exterior, isolated or interactive static display.
Last week I disembarked on an internet search to look for a set of working drawings, plans or blue-prints for an A6m Mitsubishi Zero with full size measurements that are not for an RC Model and are not for Fine Art purposes.
If no plans are readily available then I have no hesitation in drawing up my own in 2D .dwg format. As regards to which particular model of A6m totally depends on what information is out there.
If anyone can be of any assistance in my search or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Mark O' Hara

Photo, the closest I got to the real thing at IWM Duxford.
Photo credit: Remains of a Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter by Zbigniew Siwik

Attachments

• 1198357.jpg
    1198357.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 128
Welcome. Quite a project. All depends how accurate the drawings have to be.
Thank you!
Well as accurate as I can get it.
I'm used to working tolerances of +/- 1mm and although I'm sure I could stick a green T-6 Texan with a Japanese Roundel up it may fool a lot of people but it wouldn't be doing the project or what the project represents any justice.
I'm sure it will attract its fair share of rivet counters too, so yes for the sake of the project and my own integrity I'd love to have it as accurate as possible by measurements and looks. Materials wise it would depend on location.

Terrific mate, good luck. That's a worthy project. I'm sure you'll find what you need by looking around. The Australian War memorial Museum in Canberra has an early model A6M2 on display that was constructed out of three different airframes, one of which was flown by prominent ace Saburo Sakai. The aircraft was restored by members of the RAAF, so it might be worth approaching the AWM as they might be able to provide some assistance in what you are looking for.

37270216164_e0164467bf_b.jpg
DSC_5427

Terrific mate, good luck. That's a worthy project. I'm sure you'll find what you need by looking around. The Australian War memorial Museum in Canberra has an early model A6M2 on display that was constructed out of three different airframes, one of which was flown by prominent ace Saburo Sakai. The aircraft was restored by members of the RAAF, so it might be worth approaching the AWM as they might be able to provide some assistance in what you are looking for.

View attachment 581154DSC_5427
Many thanks nuuumannn,
I must compose a list of existing displays and proximity to where I am now and what I can learn from them if I'm going to make the trip.
I'll look up this one online and see what I can find out. I wonder if any of the museums with an A6m have done any 3D scans of them?
I know of a guy in Australia building a couple of 1:1 Scale Bf-109's, he has my respect, I'll be following him by example!

I wonder if any of the museums with an A6m have done any 3D scans of them?

It would be worth contacting them all as they might be able to help in ways that might not be entirely obvious. At the Auckland Museum in New Zealand there is an A6M3, so another complete example within the Pacific area.

49892957441_23675bc241_b.jpg
3844 2

The Wikipedia page on the Zero has a list of survivors, which might be able to kick start your contact list.

Mitsubishi A6M Zero - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back