AAF bases at Dakar and Marakesh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grittis

Airman
May 7, 2019
I didn't see and a specific forum for base facilities in wwII, so here goes: My father was in a replacement B24 crew flying to England in Jan, 1944 along the Southern Route. I am interested in how the air base at Daker, Senegal came under US control. The history for references that I have seen so far for Daker concentrate on the Vichy/Free French battles. I assume that after Torch these assets were taken over by US forces, but have seen no narrative of any detail. Just that in early 1943 the US was flying planes into this important base from Natal, Brazil. I guess that the base was developed by the ATC in cooperation with Pan American airlines as part of their push east through Africa. Any specific references that document this? ATC and its current incarnation say no records of operations during the war have survived... I'm also interested in the development info for the base at Marakech.

I didn't see and a specific forum for base facilities in wwII, so here goes: My father was in a replacement B24 crew flying to England in Jan, 1944 along the Southern Route. I am interested in how the air base at Daker, Senegal came under US control. The history for references that I have seen so far for Daker concentrate on the Vichy/Free French battles. I assume that after Torch these assets were taken over by US forces, but have seen no narrative of any detail. Just that in early 1943 the US was flying planes into this important base from Natal, Brazil. I guess that the base was developed by the ATC in cooperation with Pan American airlines as part of their push east through Africa. Any specific references that document this? ATC and its current incarnation say no records of operations during the war have survived... I'm also interested in the development info for the base at Marakech.
There were 2 air bases set up at /near Dakar in 1943/44 for Air Transport Command. For 4 engined aircraft with sufficient range a crossing of the Atlantic could be made from Natal to Dakar. Shorter ranged aircraft still had to go via Ascension Island.

1943 - Eknes Field
1944 - Mallard Field

You can find some of the background here.

Marrakech was another big ATC base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back