Abandoned Little Known Airfields (U.S.)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
I just came across a great site that covers abandoned civil and military airfields bases in the U.S. Many of which were for WWII training and staging. It has current (or fairly recent) photos of the sites, as well as good information regarding each site.

It also vintage photos of the sites (where possible) when they were in operation, which may be of some help for either research or modeling.

The index is by state, then into sub-groups by region/area.

Abandoned Little-Known Airfields

Yeah, that is a cool site Dave. I found it about a year ago. Suppose I should have posted it when I found it.:oops:
HaH! Beat ya' to it!

I did check to see if it had been posted before, didn't come up with anything, though. Matter of fact, it shows a couple here in Redding, the one at Peterson Tractors (California, Northwestern) is literally a few yards from our shop.

We have some really cool ones out here, but they are so far apart, it would take forever to explore them all. Quite a few are out in the desert, I've been to a number of them years ago. Nothing there for the most part, but gravel and ocassionally a foundation. The site's pictures don't give the veiwer the real feel of desolation of those places.

Up in the north state, the surviving ones (that have escaped development) still have buildings and even the occasional boneyard. Now those would be worth a little exploration photographing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back