About Midway, Fletcher, books etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Stumbled on this blog, where the former dive-bomber pilot condemns adm. Fletcher for disobeying orders to close in against IJN carriers, hence loosing too much time to launch it's decesive strikes, while the cost in men and machines skyrocketed for the USA. Wonder whether someone dweled in this stuff more deeply? Same man is the author of the negative critique of the book about Fletcher.

This is an issue that has been discussed before. it is contentious. there is a dedicated core of very well read people here, that are of the opinion that fletcher is one of the most underrated and most over scape goated admirals of the war.

I dont really share that belief. I accept he was given an extraordinarily difficult task on a number of occasions, and certainly he was blamed for things that really he did not deserve the blame for, but I just dont see him as a brilliant cutting edge carrier admiral of the war.

Good luck with this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back