Academy 1/72 Grumman TBF-1 (TBM-3 ???) Avenger

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Profa

Airman
Mar 23, 2008
This one has so many construction mistakes I don't want to bother counting them - I suggest reading Squadron's Detail Scale 53 where all are described in detail. All in all the box says "TBF-1", while decals given are for TBM-3 of VT-84 from USS Bunker Hill, 1945.
This one I've built almost OOB, while once I'll get a proper one...

th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger43.jpg
th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger44.jpg
th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger45.jpg

th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger46.jpg
th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger48.jpg
th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger47.jpg
th_Aca-GrummanTBM-3Avenger50.jpg

Assembly was pretty straightforward although I had to cope with both cockpits, dorsal turret, ventral gun and tail gear at the same time... Fuselage and wings went together nicely, and I needed just a little Mr. Surfacer to get everything perfect.
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger-02.jpg.jpg

Since I work with paintbrush only, I had to paint some 5 layers of white (Humbrol 34), 2 layers of intermediate blue (Hu144) and 3 layers of navy blue (Hu77)...
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger-04.jpg
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger06.jpg
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger14.jpg

Afterwards I have thrown out back seat and put radio-equipment, as it was from TBF-1C onward... This was followed by Model Master's Gloss Cote, as a preparation for decals and wash. Academy's decals (at least these 12 years old) were true horror so I used much of solvent setting solutions to make them proper...
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger17.jpg
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger20.jpg

Then went acryllic dark grey pin-wash. And this is when the catastrophe struck - something happened to my semi-gloss cote, and this was the result:
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger22.jpg

I fixed this by water-sanding (using 1600-grit sanding paper), which was followed by another navy blue painting session... Everything seemed OK, so I went again with wash...
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger27.jpg

Instead of using kit's oval windows (made for British Tarpoon, actually) I've created my own with Bison's epoxy:
th_Aca72-GrummanTBF-1Avenger24.jpg

Final assembly was followed with a semi-gloss cote over wings and horizontal stabilisers and silver drybrush over mostly exposed and used areas. You can see the final result in the beginning of my post :lol:
Antenna is the only thing left, but it'll wait until I finish my other project...

Excellent job Profa.:D :thumbleft: I can see you have the same problems with Academy 1/72 scale kits like me.Some of their models are simply a plasctic scrap.However if sombody wants.....it is possible to make an interesting model. :D

Wow nice work mate. I find Humbrol Matt white terrible to use.

Overall its a nice piece of work, I completed that one a while ago but no where near as good :)

Keep em coming!

Looks great.I find that I enjoy working on a model like this more than a really good one.There is more satisfaction when finished.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back