Academy 1:72 scale P-40 B/C Tomahawk, (Flying Tiger)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Tiger.jpg

This was my first camo paint job on a 1:72 scale. I know the colors are not exact but its the sloppiness of the camo that drives me nuts. I also made the mistake of spraying mat after putting on the decals.

It took a long time fixing and touching up screw-ups with the masking and camo painting.

Tom

That actually looks pretty nice Tom, camo often did look less-than-perfect. There's nothing wrong with applying a matt coat over the decals – most modellers do – but to avoid the silvering of decals (which I assume is the issue you have with it) the decals should be applied to a gloss surface. Once dry and matt-coated the decal film should then be just about invisible.

I'm working on a Hobby Boss Wild cat that has a easy paint job. I'm not rushing it, but it feels like I'm flying through the build since the P-40 took so long.

P-40 kits can be a @#@ to do :D but they usually turn out really well, as in your case. The good thing is you always learn how to improve something in the build after something goes wrong on the previous one :D
Great work :)

Camo looks pretty good. If you look at a real one, they're not all perfect lines. I find that if you spray clear gloss coat over the decals and then dullcote you'll lose the silvering.
Ed

As I said it earlier it is a very good job, Tom. :thumbright: :)

Would you be so kind and post a few shots of the model more? I mean images taken from different directions.

Agree with all, and the time taken to build is not a race - take as long as it needs. The more attention given to each stage results in a better overall job at the end.

The other thing that drives me nuts about this kit is the wing dihedral is really bad. Others have posted this kit build and the wings are almost anhedral. Yours is the best that I have seen, but still not right. Not your fault though, just a criticism of the Academy kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back