Academy P-40 B/C Tomahawk 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Well here it is, quick and dirty kit, not too impressive.

My first attempt at some weathering but I'm not sure I like the wear on the inner wing next to the fuselage, I need to work on that.

Couple questions:

1. Should the rear canopy windows have a center frame? The kit and some pics I've seen have it as I have done it, but it doesn't look right. My canopy is underwhelming to begin with but that doesn't look right.

2. Would this plane have used a bomb or fuel tank? If so, olive drab?

Thanks guys,

Jon

Attachments

• P-40 1.jpg
    P-40 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
The answer to your first question Jon is yes there was the central frame. But, as I said the Academy model needs to replace many parts including the entire cockpit conopy.
The answer to the second one is.. the additional fuel tank on the rack under the fuselage was introduced with C variant of the P-40. All these early P-40s of the AVG squadron seem to be of the B version and not equipped with the rack for a fuel tank or bomb. So there shouldn't be fixed that one, I think.

BTW.. the model looks very good.

Curtiss-H81-A2-P-40B-AVG---Tullis.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate the kind words gents, thank you.

Truth be told I didn't do myself any favors by using the macro option on my camera. This picture shows many of the models flaws.

In short, it's far from good, but good from a far LOL.

Thank you again,

Jon

Your whole build, weathering included, looks just fine. Speaking for myself, I like wear and tear that is understated. Not a big fan of multitudes of heavy panel lines and chipped paint. Looks good. Well Done!

Jon,
Ditto everyone's comments. Hats off to you for attempting a kit with some very obvious accuracy flaws. The AVG's P-40B was actually an early model Curtiss Hawk 81 that was procured from the front end of a lend-lease agreement with Great Britain. The first 100 or so AVG birds were modified to meet British specs... hence the crank type pitot tube, color, camo and markings. It did retain the original canopy and Wurger is correct, the rear canopy panes had a dividing frame. There were two access holes in the rear pane (port side) for fuel and servicing. Other details were a bullet proof pane inside the windscreen, which is a bear to model (the Trumpeter kit does a pretty good job with this detail).

You did a good job portraying Charles Older's White 68... a fine looking model.
-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back