Academy P-47D Thunderbolt "Razor-Back" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
I'm sure the best answer to my question is, personal preference, but I'm hoping for some help.

I just picked up this kit and 2 options for decals and paint scheme and I would like some feedback on which one is more accurate.

1. Lt Cecil O. Dean, 317th FS/325h FG Spring 1944 Foggia Italy

or

2. Lt A.H. Rainbow, 391st FS/366th FG Late 1944, France

Thanks

Jon

Not an expert on P-47's but you should look for images of your subjects and compare with your decals and instructions...google is your friend! :)

...and post up pics of your stuff too, someone may have a lead...

Not an expert on P-47's but you should look for images of your subjects and compare with your decals and instructions...google is your friend! :)

...and post up pics of your stuff too, someone may have a lead...

My apologies if my post left some feeling I was being a bit lazy, in fact I did look up pictures, but worded my post poorly. What I meant was if one scheme is preferred over the other. Since that post I have decided to go with the plane flown by Lt A.H. Rainbow.

In addition I decided to pick up another P-47 to work on at the same time; the "Chief" bubbletop version. One question about it though, since it is silver should I gloss or dull coat it?

Thank you and again, my apologies.

Jon

Nah, don't worry about it misinterpreted your post.....Gloss or dull coat.....really depends on the effect you are looking for and paint type and just what finish the particular silver you use actually gives you. seen some really good finishes that vary from glossy or shiny to weathered and worn. Again reference pics especially any in colour should be helpful.
I tsometimes comes down to your taste and preference on the finish.

Google P-47 NMF (Natural Metal Finish) and check images you will find all sorts of options...:)

Nah, don't worry about it misinterpreted your post.....Gloss or dull coat.....really depends on the effect you are looking for and paint type and just what finish the particular silver you use actually gives you. seen some really good finishes that vary from glossy or shiny to weathered and worn. Again reference pics especially any in colour should be helpful.
I tsometimes comes down to your taste and preference on the finish.

Google P-47 NMF (Natural Metal Finish) and check images you will find all sorts of options...:)

Wow did I open a can of worms with this NMF P-47. On your advise I did some "googling" and it seems to me thus far that there is no right or wrong answer with regard to dull or gloss for NMF.

I think I'm going to dull coat it and see what that does, however I will say that I am more interested now than ever to do more NMF birds.

Thank you very much!

Jon

Depending on the paints used, I'd shy away from a dull coat on a metallic finish, as it can react with the paint and give a 'speckled' effect, where the metallic particles show up. Probably better to leave the paint 'raw', and use different tones to achieve a varied effect. Have a look at the Bare Metal Finish guise I posted, I think on Page 6 of the painting questions threads, it might give you some ideas.

Depending on the paints used, I'd shy away from a dull coat on a metallic finish, as it can react with the paint and give a 'speckled' effect, where the metallic particles show up. Probably better to leave the paint 'raw', and use different tones to achieve a varied effect. Have a look at the Bare Metal Finish guise I posted, I think on Page 6 of the painting questions threads, it might give you some ideas.

Thanks, I will do that as well.

The P-47 I am building though has olive drab on the top of the cowling and the top of the fuselage. I suspect that should be dull though? Am I wrong?

Thanks again,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back