Adult Debate (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had the great fortune in my youth of living in Iran, where I learnt at a young age (from ages 8 to 12) about a foreign culture by immersion, and it destroyed parochialism in me forever. The frustration I feel with people who've never been outside their own state is sometimes hard to hide, until I remember just exactly how damned lucky I really am to have had that experience.

Lived a year in Spain as well, before, during, and after Desert Storm, which only reinforced my belief that travel is the best way to break hidebound minds.

I was born here in the USA. While not all membership is American, we can all say that we don't live life under a dictatorship. Thank God we're not Russian or Chinese or North Korean residents. Oh, I forgot. Our forum is probably banned there.
We have at least one member who I think is Russian and he was still posting yesterday. He may be a Russian expat though.

I also know more than one person who has lived in multiple countries, including what they call the Urinated States of America. I enjoyed most of my time there but I was only there for a couple of years. They were there for much longer. One routinely peppers his conversations with have I told you just how much I hate that place.

Last edited:
We have a few Russian members and I seem to recall a member who was Chinese.
North Korean, I'm pretty sure that'll never happen, given that they aren't allowed to do the interwebs.
We had a Vietnamese once. He didn't last, because all Americans had to press through their view on the Vietnamese war on him :confused:

Then we have the individual that really does not care one way or another about the issues but is part of the debate for only one reason: to throw shade and mess with people, to deliberately push emotional buttons attempting to invoke an angry response. Look at the early posts in this thread. Chris was being deliberately poked, prodded, and needled for no reason other than to elicit his anger.
I really have no cards in this game as I don't contribute much to this forum. Instead of contributing I'm usually soaking up the information that all of you extremely intelligent people post here. My area of expertise doesn't come up here often so I'm saddened I can't contribute more (and there is the time thing as well). I've never seen such a welcoming group that takes more time than they should to help out everyone who posts a question or a topic of discussion. The moderators are some of the best I've seen. Bravo......all of you.
That being said, Mike is dead on in my opinion. He nailed the personality type....best thing is to move on and help those who need it, or talk to those who WANT to talk...and LEARN.
Just felt the need to express my opinion for once....thanks so much to all of you who put so much of your personal time into this forum. VERY much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back