Advice : converting a static rotary winged model to an RC model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
This will probably go down as blasphemy in this place, but I have been considering converting one of my unconstructed rotary wing models to an rc model, and was looking for advice from anyone who might have attempted this lunacy themselves.

Ive recently been introduced to the microlyte mini rtf helos with the new gyroscopic stabilizers. I have tried rc helos in the past, and generally end up with an expensive piece of scrap plastic after about 30 seconds of flying. These things are completely different. they are childishly simple to fly, amazingly stable and responsive. They are strong (with an aluminium tube chassis with carbon fibre rotors and lithium super responsive servo system), my only beef, they put over this amazingly well engineered model the most crappy skin. They are very cheap (my Himoto Red Wolf cost only $30 Aus), I was astonished at the amount of lift these little models generate. This micro model is no more than 7inches oa length, but can lift off the ground at least two additional penlite (AA) batteries, probably more. they are so simple to fly, I think they will accommodate some shift in CG and balance without too much drama. I was surprised also to realize that the chassis and running gear to this little model would fit inside a 1/72 helo model, like a wessex or sea king without too much difficulty.

This is what I have been considering....stripping the RTF micro down to its chassis and running gear and then building one of out of the box models around it.....

Has anyone attempted this before. Am I mad to even daydream about this?

Last edited:
Never tried it but strung some thoughts together

i. static display (SD) model plastic (probably) doesn't 'bounce' the way RC model plastic does
ii. I'm willing to bet an SD is significantly heavier than an equivalent-sized/scaled RC (airframe only)
iii. I don't believe SD seeks to emulate the CoG of the full-sized subject, this, plus the additional weight in ii. could serve to upset the flying characteristics. Probably a simple case of re-ballasting but you'd need to know that prior to construction
iv. is there any chance of torsion and torque pulling the SD airframe apart, esp in the long-term?

Thanks colin, and I think your points are well madee

I will undertake a check and weigh the completed copy of my weesex to see just how heavy they are. I'll have to remove and weigh the model skin to determine the extra payload I would be subjecting the propulsion sytem to, I am hoping that I can adjust the positioning of of the chassis within the interior of the model, so that the cg of the model plus chassis is the same as the model plus skin.

I agree that the SD model is made of nonshock absorbent plastic, but am hopefull that it wont have to take that much vibration or absorb shock. Its a non-structural addition to the unit.

Famous last words I know.

Don't crash ! I doubt it's possible to auto rotate a 1/72nd scale Wessex!
I hope it works out, as I'd love to see a small-scale model flying - might even have a go myself !

Have you thought about making a fiberglass shell in the form of your Wessex? I came across an internet article where someone made a fiberglass mold of helicopter bodies for his ceiling fan. It would be a bit smaller in 72nd scale but not impossible, just a lot of patience. The end result would be light enough I think to do what you're thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back