Advice please: Wright Cyclone piston rings.

Fortress2aZ9A

Airman
13
13
Joined
Mar 8, 2024
Good afternoon, I would be very grateful for some advice on Cyclone R1820 piston rings. In the late 1980s I acquired two, very poor condition Wright Cyclones from a scrap dealer in North East Scotland. They had lain on a moor for about 40 years and so much was corroded and much had been removed for souvenirs. Eventually I discovered they came from a B17E Fortress operating with 519 (Meteorological) Squadron RAF, which crashed on return from a trip over the Arctic Circle on the night of February 1st/2nd 1945. Six of the crew were killed or died of their wounds but 3 survived (pilot, co-pilot and trainee pilot). The a/c number was 42 9225, with a RAF number FL455 squadron code Z9A.
One of the engines was mounted 'as was' on a stand and has been on display in the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, Doncaster since the 1990s. The other I stripped down and have been working on it on and off since. (after about 2000 it has been mostly 'off'). I am now pushing on to finish it as best I can. Because of loss and corrosion, I am going to mount it as a cutaway, driven about 5 - 10 rpm. I have managed to recover some piston rings, but would like to buy some more. I have seen them advertised but there are a variety of part numbers. I do not have a parts catalogue so am at a loss at which to try. The engine is a R1820 and I am certain it is a R1820-65 (16:9 reduction ratio) and was the port inner. The engine number from the accident record is 563537. All i/d plates were stripped or lost years ago.
I have seen adverts saying that a ring no: 68498 +004 fits R1300s, 1820s, 2600s and 3350s. Other numbers I have are : 2810-166-0765PD, 25176, 639577, 68498-Y-77, 147637-Y6C orY8C, 2810-618-5679,147637-Y10-C10 orC65. I am at a complete loss and so would much appreciate some guidance. Mike D.
 
Hi Fortress2aZ9A. Sounds like a great project! I believe there are a few Forum members that might be able to help you out.
Thank you. It has taken a long time but I hope to get there in the end. Regards. Mike D.
 
Mike Nixon at Vintage Radials should be able to help you.
Thanks very much. I will try them. The cylinders are corroded inside, so I am going to have viewing panels cut into them so the pistons and rings can be seen moving. The cylinders are almost ready, so when I get the rings sorted, the cylinders can go back on and that is another stage behind me. Regards
Mike D.
 
Avialogs has the parts catalog.
Their title does not list the -65, but it is in the document.
 
Thanks Simon, I will follow that up. Regards.
Mike .
I contacted the site, Simon and downloaded the parts list and now have the piston ring numbers. Thanks very much again.
Regards
Mike D.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back