Aeronautical Terms Translator (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I found this in the back of the B-24 pilot manual wile doing research for my entry in the current Group Build. Thought it might be useful around here.

American-British translator.JPG

Last edited:
"Empennage" is American and "Tail Unit" is British? Surprising.
OK, OK, you saw through our masterful plan. The above document was made in an attempt to impress our Allies. There was another page that included a diagram of the aircraft and only 3 terms, but it was only for use at small, rural airfields:

1) propeller
2)the whatchamacallit
3) that thing there, dammit. I'm pointing right at it.

Yes, I think something has been lost in the translation there! A battery is a battery, an accumulator being a number of batteries and relevant gizmos to 'accumulate' electrical power, for starting etc. A pitot is a pitot, the pressure head being the sensor within, and so on. And yes, empannage is the correct British term for the complete tail unit.
They missed out 'Thingymajig', 'Whatsit', 'Doobrie', 'Doodah' and a few others!

They missed out 'Thingymajig', 'Whatsit', 'Doobrie', 'Doodah' and a few others!
At the risk of being rude, it is clear that you have never seen the document. The goal was to keep all of the information on one page. With the font used, adding any more of your technical terms would have resulted in a two page document. Much too confusing.

On top of that, the terms "doobrie" and "doodah" (being high-falooten British terms) would have been unfamiliar to many of the mechanics. Some of the more religious folk might have assumed that some evil person had slipped some foreign profanity past the censors and would feel compelled to burn the entire manual.

It was serious enough to make a 217 pages document of. Divided by the same language it seems

Love the RAF slang .......

Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg

Last edited:
It was serious enough to make a 217 pages document of. Divided by the same language it seems

Love the RAF slang .......

211 pages? Dang, it sure would be a lot easier if those British guys would learn to speak English!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back